Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
Hey guys,

is it possible to put MS Word/Text documents on an iPod Touch WITHOUT jailbreaking it?
I don't want this to get into an argument about Jailbreaking or not cause that's pointless, but soon I'm going to get a huge packet of digital documents that I'm going to need in class and I don't want to have to print out and a Touch would perfect for viewing such information on.

The question is, can it be done?

fdmendez

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
no... so i'd recommend just hacking it. It's really easy and takes ten minutes max with the automatic software that's out now.

triela

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Hey guys,

is it possible to put MS Word/Text documents on an iPod Touch WITHOUT jailbreaking it?
I don't want this to get into an argument about Jailbreaking or not cause that's pointless, but soon I'm going to get a huge packet of digital documents that I'm going to need in class and I don't want to have to print out and a Touch would perfect for viewing such information on.

The question is, can it be done?

So you're against jailbreaking... And you still want to use a music/video player as a text reader, functionality it is not supposed to have (they even removed the Notes app).

Even with jailbreak, the iPod touch can't read MS Word docs. Plain text files can be read, but again, this is achieved through jailbreak.

You can try the "data:" workaround for the iPhone through iPod's Safari, but this would require you to have (or convert) all your files in PDF: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/331239/

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Just Notify them (Put them into notepad and save as txt) jailbreak iPod using iJailbreak, SOOOO simple.

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
So you're against jailbreaking... And you still want to use a music/video player as a text reader, functionality it is not supposed to have (they even removed the Notes app).

Even with jailbreak, the iPod touch can't read MS Word docs. Plain text files can be read, but again, this is achieved through jailbreak.

You can try the "data:" workaround for the iPhone through iPod's Safari, but this would require you to have (or convert) all your files in PDF: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/331239/

I was asking as the functionality for viewing text documents was available on the iPod until this particular round of updates, I was in fact looking to see if such a facility was provided on the Touch, apparently it is not.

I think I'll be trying the 'Data' workaround.

And frankly my view on the Jailbreak is that right now I'm reading too many 'OMG MY TOUCH IS BRICKED' type threads for me to have much (any) faith in hacking at the moment.

I think I'll wait for Apple to trash all of the hacks in at least 1 or 2 future software updates, before I give it a shot.

@FDMendez, thanks I'll check out google docs, that looks like a good way of doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.