Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
This is not project-related; I just wanted to quickly share a recent discovery that might not have been apparent to most, and certainly never was to me:

If you copy / paste the below link at the start of a URL (such as a Wikipedia link, or a random article about bicycles), it will automatically call up the Wayback Machine's most recent saved version of that webpage (usually anywhere from a few days old to a few hours old), and will always bypass the site's arbitrary security hoops, provided that the browser can play nice with the incomprehensible digital soup that is modern website code, which Leopard WebKit / Safari 11.0.4 most of the time does.

Code:
http://web.archive.org/web/20301231000000/

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

If the Wayback Machine complains that the webpage has not yet been saved, just take an extra 10 seconds to anonymously archive it (using the button they conveniently provide below the message), and then proceed to view the newly archived version as intended.

For the smoothest experience, I find that it is best to save this URL string as a text file on the desktop, and then use a series of keyboard commands to swiftly splice it in whenever next visiting a TLS 1.3 site. For example:

Open file > Cmd + A > Cmd + C > Select Safari URL bar > Cmd + A > Left arrow key > Cmd + V > Enter

This will definitely improve my own workflow going forward ... so maybe it will improve others' as well. Give it a try. :)

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Cool idea. Figured i'd also throw these in the mix for those interested in other ways to make old browsers functional again.

1) Use another Mac as a proxy with @Wowfunhappy 's legacy mac proxy package found here:
2) Use another machine running Linux with this preconfigured Docker.

I've been using an old 2007 mac mini with ElementaryOS using the oldssl-proxy Docker package for awhile now. It runs headless (no keyboard, no mouse, no monitor) and is off in the corner out of the way. Even Tiger's safari can view wikipedia with it (minus the .png images).

Cheers
proxy-tiger.png

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If you copy / paste the below link at the start of a URL [...], it will automatically call up the Wayback Machine's most recent saved version of that webpage [...], and will always bypass the site's arbitrary security hoops, [...]
...which is why this happens. ;)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: B S Magnet

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the workaround!

To save a step, I keep my URLs like this on a permanently-open Stickies note.

I often copy-paste YouTube live links into PPCMC in this way, so it’s as fast as possible.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
2) Use another machine running Linux with this preconfigured Docker.
Ooh, I didn’t know there was a docker for this. I do have my Mac Mini server setup for this but I don’t think I did it right. I don’t really use it.
But this sounds like a job for my new Mac Pro proxmox server I’ve set up.. once my RAM gets here.

Reactions: wicknix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.