Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archive33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Hi there, I've been trying to discover the authenticity of this Apple sign which has been stored in a loft in Ireland for many years. It would have originally been outside a dealership that sold Apple computers amongst other brands back in the 80's/90's in Dublin (apparently this font and logo type featured between 1977-1984).
I can find no other similar examples in my internet searches with this unusual black background. It's made out of a thick plastic and a aluminum frame which can easily be disassembled to access inside. The sign is in good condition except for a hole in one corner, the missing pieces were recovered inside, and there is oxidisation of the metal rim and a rusted mounting and the blue on the bottom of the logo has faded substantially. The tube lights inside no longer work but I guess they could easily be replaced with a similar system. It measures aprox 94x65x18cm. Would be nice to know if its worth anything or collectable to anyone. Thanks!

IMG_9872.jpeg

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Neat find! If it works I am sure that is worth a pretty penny to the right person. Those are not cheap signs to make, and probably cost way more back then.

Reactions: archive33

archive33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Thanks it is very interesting. Is it worth restoring something like this to sell or better to leave to a collector? Also do you think there's any way to authenticate it? I can't find a single image on Google of anything remotely similar.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Thanks it is very interesting. Is it worth restoring something like this to sell or better to leave to a collector? Also do you think there's any way to authenticate it? I can't find a single image on Google of anything remotely similar.
I am no expert so can't offer any advice on that. You could try contact Apple directly with a picture and any info you have, like the store name it came from, city, etc.

I did come across this website https://vintage-computer.fr/collection/

Not endorsing the website, I have never been to it before today when I was googling the sign. Looks like he is a collector and might be worth connecting with the site operator. They have an older sign as well, similar vintage, different design.

Reactions: archive33

archive33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
I am no expert so can't offer any advice on that. You could try contact Apple directly with a picture and any info you have, like the store name it came from, city, etc.

I did come across this website https://vintage-computer.fr/collection/

Not endorsing the website, I have never been to it before today when I was googling the sign. Looks like he is a collector and might be worth connecting with the site operator. They have an older sign as well, similar vintage, different design.
Thanks for that. I'll follow it up.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
It is similar to the signs Apple used in the early 80s, specifically the Bandley 3 building which housed the original Mac team. The biggest difference is the placement of "apple" on the sign itself.

Bandley3.jpg

archive33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Thanks for that! Thats interesting, this is the only reference to a similar design and colour scheme I've seen elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.