Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
Never really stopped playing vinyl. Even when CD's came along and not a great deal of digital music in my collection. Interesting picking up re masters of ones I have worn paper thin. Upgraded to a Rega P3 in 1999 and still happy enough with it to keep it going.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Never really stopped playing vinyl. Even when CD's came along and not a great deal of digital music in my collection. Interesting picking up re masters of ones I have worn paper thin. Upgraded to a Rega P3 in 1999 and still happy enough with it to keep it going.

I also never really stopped playing vinyl. The only reason I did was when I was moving around a lot, working seasonal jobs here and there, with my 200+ record collection in boxes in my brothers garage. My wife and I still work seasonal and travel a lot, but we now own our own apartment, so, I liberated my records from storage and below is the result :)

Shortly after we moved in, we went to the local thrift shop to look for furniture. All they had in the form of furniture was/is mostly in the form of the Gothic renaissance style. However, in the electronics sections, there was this Technics amp with a pair of B&W DM23 speakers, both in mint condition, for €145. I'm guessing they're from the late 80's. The turntable I got new for €250.

Sure, I have my iTunes library, and I've even digitised a few of my favourite vinyls for the car, but we don't have a TV, so this is what my wife and I mostly do at home for entertainment.

144362015_10225132934287654_7357334372796553455_n-2.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_1663.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 400

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
B+w eh? nice.
Mordunt short floor standers here (my pockets have a limit but these are great). Wood floor and was worried over fitting the spikes but in the end went for it with pennies for spike feet and improved the sound by an order of magnitude (for my ears). Arcam A19 to make the noise but it also has a built in phono stage, not a huge fan of spaghetti cabling when not required.
Just a few I keep out, the rest are tucked up in flight case boxes and cycled out every few months due to lack of space including all the 45's, need to manually swap the belt for them, I have a 45 day everyone and then.
Apple Photos Document.jpg

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
B+w eh? nice.

Yep, and I almost lost them. When I saw them on the shelf, I turned around to look for the missus who was somewhere else, basically to inform her I was getting these speakers and amp. There was to be no discussion. While I was looking for her, another guy was gazing intently at them. He turns and walks slowly away, at which point I simply grab one under each arm, they're actually quite heavy, and walk to the counter. I think I scored, big time. I'm willing to bet I'm only the second owner. They are still to this day the most 'expensive' items I've ever seen in that thrift shop. This was 2 years ago.

My precioussssss.....

gollum-smeagol-precious.jpg

Reactions: 400

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I know a bit about LP12s, but I'm not an expert...

No idea about the St. Louis area. But--stating the obvious--you might check with Linn to see if there is a dealer near you. You might also check to see if there are other audio dealers in the area who can work on Linn--I've known of audio dealers who don't sell Linn, but have someone on the staff who knows about LP12s. Sometimes, I hear, these non-Linn dealers actually do a better job than the official dealer.

The turntable probably also should have the bearing oil changed and have the suspension checked.
Thanks, but the closest Linn dealer is in Chicago and I am not inclined to make that trip twice. As you say, I was looking for someone close who has access to parts and knows how to install them. Since my original post I played a test record and learned how bad my hearing really is. I didn’t hear problems other than my total lack of HF hearing. I probably have the skills necessary to install them myself, but I don’t mind paying someone with proven skills to do it for me. Other internet searches indicate someone in Michigan (even farther) is very good with Linn, but again, I am not inclined to go that far. I may just live with what I have.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
At one time, I was pretty committed to vinyl--there have been times when my system was turntable-only. At the moment, I'm currently not doing anything with vinyl, but hope to have a turntable up and running again in the coming months. But I'm getting by with a CD player--and I like how cheap used CDs are in my area. One thrift shop charges fifty cents per CD--but the CDs are often on sale for half price!
They virtually given them away in Charity shops in the UK CD,s that is.I wish we had Goodwill shops here in the uk. :( I watch this guys Thrifting videos
there is much in those stores ,plus a lot of crap stuff, but a lot of retro goodies in there. I love all this retro computer and games stuff. :) And the shops are so big.Nothing like it in the uk.:(In the uk charity shops think all Vinyl is worth something stuff like Engelbert ,John Denver,Slim Whitman,Jim Reeves plus loads of classical music and crap like that. :(And all the retro computers he has. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.