Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It is a disgrace isn't it? You don't see HPs or even... Alienware laptops mentioned. It is Dell (well, we all know how great they are) and Apple.

Hence in this area Dell is in the same category as Apple. Or rather should I say Apple is in the same category as Dell!

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Misleading.

They didn't ban the laptops. You just have to take the battery out, which makes the laptops useless during the flight... but at least you can bring it with you.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Benjamindaines said:
Doesn't matter, I refuse to fly anymore. Terrorists don't scare me its the goddamn regulations.

actually I'd say this is one of the few post 9/11 regulations that actually makes sense. We've all seen the pics of laptops that have exploded because of their batteries.

Funny how when it's an apple laptop being banned it's "just another stupid knee jerk reaction from the airlines" yet I have the suspicion that if it were just Dell's being banned we'd all be laughing.

Let's face it, some laptops (both apple & dells) with these battery cells have exploded and caused damage to tables & such they were sitting on. These explosions, although rare, have been random.

So having a laptop explode on an airplane would be a obvious safety risk, maybe the plane would crash, maybe it wouldn't, but I know I wouldn't want to be the person using (or sitting within 2-3 seats) of the laptop that does.

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
dornoforpyros said:
actually I'd say this is one of the few post 9/11 regulations that actually makes sense. We've all seen the pics of laptops that have exploded because of their batteries.

Funny how when it's an apple laptop being banned it's "just another stupid knee jerk reaction from the airlines" yet I have the suspicion that if it were just Dell's being banned we'd all be laughing.

Let's face it, some laptops (both apple & dells) with these battery cells have exploded and caused damage to tables & such they were sitting on. These explosions, although rare, have been random.

So having a laptop explode on an airplane would be a obvious safety risk, maybe the plane would crash, maybe it wouldn't, but I know I wouldn't want to be the person using (or sitting within 2-3 seats) of the laptop that does.
I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense to have them banned, I'm saying that it's too much of a hassle to deal with.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
The amount of hysteria has me unable to fly.

I have tourette's syndrome and I have not flown since the man with bipolar disorder was shot dead after displaying symptoms of his disease causing police to overreact and shoot him dead.

Yes, I could explain ahead of time that I have tourette's syndrome, and cannot control my nonharmful tics, but there is so much hysteria right now that I wouldn't feel safe flying....not because of terrorists, but because of people seeing ME as a terrorist. Plus, for example, one of my coping mechanisms during stress is sipping on a bottle of water. If I had been about to get on a flight and they had confiscated my bottles of water it would have heightened my anxiety a lot and caused my tics to worsen.....

For the record I have traveled by air travel displaying tics pre-9/11 with no problems. Just that everyone seems to be in such a vigilante mindset these days.

L

Lau

swingerofbirch said:
The amount of hysteria has me unable to fly...

For the record I have traveled by air travel displaying tics pre-9/11 with no problems. Just that everyone seems to be in such a vigilante mindset these days.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've thought the over-reactions by both the public and the officials has been utterly ludicrous for a while now, but I'm very sad to hear a real case of it affecting someone entirely innocent. I really hope everyone comes to their senses soon and stops being so ****ing ridiculous about all this. :(

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Benjamindaines said:
Let's make a list of what we can't bring on planes anymore:
liquids
carry ons (in some countries)
anything (UK)
Dell / Apple laptops
tooth picks

care to add?

Jst back from Marbella, Spain. And the UK doesnt have a complete ban, it has a one piece of hand luggage restriction to a certain size of bag.

http://www.edinburghairport.com/por...____^70bb578be5532010VgnVCM100000147e120a____

I travelled from Edinburgh to Spain. Took and used my laptop, ipod, PSP on board. Bought drinks from duty free after security checks as the items purchased after security are not a risk.....

jst thought i would add!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
CyberB0b said:
Misleading.

They didn't ban the laptops. You just have to take the battery out, which makes the laptops useless during the flight... but at least you can bring it with you.

You can still use it assuming you have a power adapter for the airplane. I think.

What I think may eventually happen is there will be a compartment in the front of the plane where you put your battery into. The compartment is sealed and air is removed from it. If you want to use your laptop you can use an air adapter. Until this is figured out I have no problems checking my BATTERY. However I will NEVER check my laptop. I’ve seen how the baggage crew treats baggage. No way in heck are they doing that to my MBP. I’ll spend an extra couple hundred if necessary to fly with someone who at least lets you bring the laptop onboard.
I really don’t think people realize how dangerous a fire on a plane/submarine really is.

PS- I hope people realize the terrorists have already won. The fact that they are making us spend billions to jump through hoops (What you think every new procedure implementation is free?) is a direct example of this. Its like the bully who looks at you and fakes a punch making you jump out of the way to avoid it. You just expended energy for his amusement and all he had to do is simply threaten you. All terrorists have to do is just plan something... (From what I've read there were serious questions as to how effective their plan would have been, but I'm not going to dismiss it.) and we get twitchy. Which begs the question where is the happy medium which is well beyond the scope of this thread and I will shut up now. :p

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
SiliconAddict said:
You can still use it assuming you have a power adapter for the airplane. I think.

You are right, the article did say something about plugging in the laptops. I've never been in an airplane seat with any sort of power outlet available, but I guess they do exist.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Virgin Atlantic is like... premium airline service, isn't it?
It would make sense they'd have power adapters.

They're the airline that has premium seats with like... beds and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.