Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
It would make sense since they did just release their own line of MP3 players recently.

But I think this market is going to get very crowded by next yr and the following yr we will probably see alot of them go down in flames.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
i think this is the .com revival we heard so much about in the last year. But, like all new tech's, no one saw this coming and most will fail.

Just don't start buying stock in these companies, unless you plan to sell it the week after the IPO.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Virgin is essentially its own label -- I don't see how it is going to get the cooperation of the other labels for its music service. And without all the major labels, any music service is a non-starter -- folks want one-stop shopping (at least for the most popular stuff).

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Quote: Virgin is essentially its own label -- I don't see how it is going to get the cooperation of the other labels for its music service. And without all the major labels, any music service is a non-starter -- folks want one-stop shopping (at least for the most popular stuff"

Oh yeah? don't think so, they sell plently other labels in their Mega stores, I don't think this will be any different in an online service. AND they have a huge catalog allready...
;)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
sooner or later there'll be 10s of thousands of companies with these sort of services.. and it'll get out of hand geesh..

It's very true that companies take Apple's ideas, but we all knew that

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
this is simply getting out of hand...

that it is getting riddiculous.

so in the wake of these new "competitors" aka. "iTMS-killers", for Apple to stay on top, they have to be first in offering:

_IiTMS (International iTunes Music Store)

_support local bands in different countries.

_*joke* lower prices.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
hehe, I was wondering how long it'd be before good old Richard Branson jumped on the bandwagon :)

Also, knowing Branson, this will be well executed, he is a clever man, and runs many good, successful branches of the Virgin brand. Airline, Cola, Mobile phones....

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i figure between the lot of us, we can open our own online music store with all the **** we've all downloaded over the years. uh... we'll call it "used mp3s" the internet music super store. with $0.50 songs and $4.99 albums we'll make a killing considering it's "used" music.

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
Originally posted by dho
could someone make a list of all the music stores?

There are so many that I cannot remember

Ok, let my take a shot at this.

1. iTMS
2.Napster
3. Musicmatch
4. Dell
5. HP
6. Real Networks
7. Virgin
8. Wallmart
9. Sony
10. Microsoft (more then likly)

That is all I can think of. please add to this if you know more.

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
1. iTMS
2. Napster
3. Musicmatch
4. Dell
5. HP
6. Real Networks
7. Virgin
8. Wallmart
9. Sony
10. Microsoft (more then likely)
11. MTV
12. buymusic.com (remember, get loaded?)

Does Walmart really count?

Can anyone think of others?

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Cnet.com bought mp3.com so it could have it's own service as well.

So you can add them as well.

There is couple of indi music stores out too that only cater to bands and artist that have no label to call their own.

Blaaze

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
Wow, the playing field is getting crowded, and each think they're better than the other.

This should lead to an interesting series of events for internet history. Is online music buying the way of the future? I guess many companies think it is.

My thinking leads me to believe that all of these companies are jumping on the bandwagon knowing that they're going to be losing money, but hoping it will make them profits in the future. At least Apple has a back-up plan. It's kind of a win-win situation for them. If the iTMS still loses money in a year, the extra sale of iPods will make up for it. If the iTMS is hugely successful, which I hope it is, they will be putting out more iPods in addition to the bragging rights of having developed the first successful online music store. Of course I'm thinking that the Microsoft music store will claim they did, or some stupid Microsoft-esque crap like that.

I say let the other companies join us. Ultimately, most of them will drop like flies, and only a few will remain. I agree that this is very reminiscent of the dot.com boom and bust, but it also reminds me of mp3 players a few years ago. (Correct me if I'm wrong) RIO had the first mp3 player, and many weren't sure whether mp3's were going to hold out. I remember I bought one for about $200 I think, because I kind of new inside that mp3's were here to stay. The player was pretty crappy. It was supposed to be skip-proof and essentially it was, but if the bottom were to be jolted slightly, it would hit the battery cover and turn the player off. Even though it sucked, it showed that mp3 players were viable and had the potential to be huge. A year after, the marketplace was flooded by super-cheap mp3 players done by companies to get a piece of the pie. But many of these players were crappy too and phased out into nonexistence. Now only a few good players remain, which include the iPod.

As I see it, Apple was that first company that showed the world that online music stores were very possible and had the potential to be huge. All these companies wanting to come play is just a natural part of the economy and marketplace. And like the case with mp3 players, many of them will phase out.

God..I have a chem exam to study for. Talk about procrastination..

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Originally posted by Java
1. iTMS
2. Napster
3. Musicmatch
4. Dell
5. HP
6. Real Networks
7. Virgin
8. Wallmart
9. Sony
11. MTV

Well you know that Apple is already generating a run rate of over a billion dollars a year just on iPod sales. One of the major record studios was just sold for 2.4 Billion. Since it is looking like the industry is still on the decline, Apple may be able to pick up a studio in the next year for under 2 billion, thus keeping a lions share of the track sales. That's why Virgin is doing it, they get to keep that extra 34c per track for each of their own sales. But, they forget that it costs money to host your own service and stream all those bits. It makes more sense for Apple who already has made the major part of the investment to go ahead and buy one or two of the big players for their Copyrights or even to spin-off iTunes and allow it to go on and do its thing.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by Java
1. iTMS
2. Napster
3. Musicmatch
4. Dell
5. HP
6. Real Networks
7. Virgin
8. Wallmart
9. Sony
11. MTV

This is getting crazy. I wonder how many of them will be around in a year or two. How many songs is buymusic.com selling per week or month? They said they were going to sell a ton, but I never heard from them after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.