Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe Saponic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
My Virgin Superhub isn't letting me in.

Last week I bought a Netgear N900 router. My intention was to take advantage of what I thought might be better security settings by using my 2015 Virgin 2ac SuperHub as a modem.

I’m not very techie but with security uppermost in my mind and having read warnings about duplicate addresses from running two routers (no doubt misunderstood by me) I thought one router, one modem seemed like a good idea. This is the result.

Security on routers seems to be about Wi-Fi, which I don’t use, tho’ I have a good internet connection so I don’t really understand why login repeatedly fails. I'm running a Mac Pro mid-2012 for what that's worth.

Indeed I had this same problem even before changing the hub to a modem, when in spite of a good internet connection I couldn’t get into my Virgin page unless I removed the ethernet cable from the Netgear and reattached it to the SuperHub.

Is there a way round this without a return to factory settings and restoring the Hub back into router mode? Again I'm a bit of an ignoramus in these matters but it doesn't look right to me, especially as cabling and web connections are fine.

I've used the changed IP address required for modem mode (192.168.100.1) and it doesn't work. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.