Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihparker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
I use Virtual PC for an important application. It works just fine in 10.2. Does anyone know whether it will work in 10.3?

Thanks

bperkins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
GA
I did a CCC back up to my external FW drive. Where are the files that I save on the c: drive of VPC located on my Mac? I am going to do a clean install, and I want to sure that everything is on the firewire drive before I clean install.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
long in the tooth

The short: Should I expect speed improvements from VPC on my 700MHz iBook if I simply install Panther?

The long: I bought VPC for use on my ibook and the performacne and use to hard drive space ratio didn't sit well with me. It used a quarter of my 20 GB drive's space and was kinda slow. As such, I uninstalled it.

Is the speed of VPC related to the application and the processor, or does the underlying OS play a part too? Would simply upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3 provide a performance increase or will I just have to wait until I get a new computer to achieve my emulation dream?

-p

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
bperkins - Everything stored on your C: drive in VPC is actually stored in a document called (DISKNAME).vp6. The Diskname is what you called it and it should be either in your Documents folder or whereever you placed the file. But since you CCC'd your hard drive, don't worry, as from the Mac side, your VPC hard drive is just another document like a text document. (Though a wee bit bigger). No worries for you.

psxndc - The short: You should.
The long: The performance of VPC is very much proportional to processor speed and amount of L3 cache. Having an L3 Cache increases the speed immensely (your iBook does not have L3 Cache). You can emulate now if you want, but don't expect it to be a 2.0 Ghz P4, more like about 1/3 of your processor speed at a Pentium II. That and with a really crappy video card.

zaphoyd

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2002
Wisconsin/Illinois
problem with multiple monitors

Virtual pc has one glaring problem in panther. You only get it if you have multiple monitors. After starting up the pc, it draws a thick black outline of the main screen, that procedes to follow the mouse around until you restart the mac. Even after you quit vpc. Here is a screen shot. Anyone know of a remedy?

Please note, this is developer build 7B80 (VPC 6.1), (didnt bother to dl 3 7B85 CDs and go through that hassle and whatnot, just going to wait until my retail arrives for that)

here is a screen shot
http://www.zaphoyd.com/junk/blackbars.jpg
those black bars represent a black box around the main screen that moves with the mouse and causes major annoyance.

-Peter Thorson
Zaphoyd Graphics and Software
http://www.zaphoyd.com

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Re: long in the tooth

Originally posted by psxndc
The short: Should I expect speed improvements from VPC on my 700MHz iBook if I simply install Panther?

The long: I bought VPC for use on my ibook and the performacne and use to hard drive space ratio didn't sit well with me. It used a quarter of my 20 GB drive's space and was kinda slow. As such, I uninstalled it.

Is the speed of VPC related to the application and the processor, or does the underlying OS play a part too? Would simply upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3 provide a performance increase or will I just have to wait until I get a new computer to achieve my emulation dream?

-p
As a fellow owner of a 700mhz iBook I share your pain. VPC 6 is still a slow beast in Panther, and I've seen virtually no improvement in speed over 10.2.8. Sorry. For what I use it for (very limited application) it's acceptable, but I can understand a very large degree of frustration associated with it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
My understanding is that Virtual PC currently doesn't run on the G5. Hopefully Microsoft will have a fix soon.

tsiawdspeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2003
Minnesota
I also use VPC with XP on a 700 iBook. It is slow but I got more memory for it (now running 640MB) and it is alot faster. I am running an older version of Panther (7B68) and it seems faster than it did when I had Jaguar.

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
VPC on my 667 PB is significantly faster

Just tested VPC (XP) on my 667 PB and it is kicking ass compared to any version of Jag. In fact this is the app where I have seen the greatest increase in speed. I have, however, maxed the memory that VPC uses, which is also a major factor in how fast it goes.

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
Originally posted by tsiawdspeed
I also use VPC with XP on a 700 iBook. It is slow but I got more memory for it (now running 640MB) and it is alot faster. I am running an older version of Panther (7B68) and it seems faster than it did when I had Jaguar.
Hmmm, sounds like it's time to move up from the 386mb that I've been limping along with for the past while...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.