Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lisa Moskaluk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
still looking for advice...

I have now tried three different mics to use through vpc - two usb and one that plugs into the mic plug on my powerbook g4. None work.

Has anyone ever got any mic to work through VPC????

This is getting annoying, not to mention costly.

YES, I do realise there is a built-in mic on a powerbook - this doesn't work through VPC at all (for those of you who were wondering)

cheers.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i think the answer (though i could be wrong), lies in the difference between mac mics and windows mics (at least it used to be this way) - the mac mics are powered mics, with power on the cable, while the windows mics (and pretty much all non mac hardware mics) are just a line level input. that's what it used to be, if i recall - now if you could find a usb one that says it's fully supported by windows, then you might start getting somewhere (assuming you haven't already, which is prolly a bad assumption)

matt

Lisa Moskaluk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2003
have tried one that is a windows mic with usb connection (works on the mac too), tried one that just plugs into the mic jack on my laptop too. actually tried two different USB ones, just in case the first one had a prob - two diff makes and types. Nothing.
Frustrating experiment this is turning out to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.