Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I tried the Rift some weeks back, when my sisters boyfriend brought his gaming setup and Rift along over christmas.

Quite immersive, and a better experience than I had anticipated. But it is also apparent for me that there's still work to be done. First of all, the headset, while comfortable, is a bit too heavy for long term gaming. But surprisingly, what annoyed me more, was the amount of sweating with the headset on.

Gaming wise I just tried out ~15 small games made for VR. Nothing major, but enough to get various impressions. I could definitely see the immersive gaming potential, but I could certainly also see the amount of gimmick games needed to be weeded out. My favorite experience was Lucky's Tale, a simple platformer. Being *in* the game was just amazing, and I love platformers like that.. Give me a real Banjo Kazooie experience, and I would pick up a VR on my own. Or something like a 3D Final Fantasy. Or Zelda. Yum yum!

I own a Rift and rarely use it. It's novel thing right now in my opinion. Even with the VorpX driver allowing users to basically configure the Rift for any game (some take more work than others), I still think we need more time in the oven to get these ready for prime time. Horror is definitely where it's at in my case.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Thanks for mentioning this. I'm not surprised, I've wondered about this too. You are the first person I've read that has mentioned this...
I played in two different rooms, one where i was standing up that had a normal room temperature (~22°C), and one with a lit fire where i was sitting down (~26°C I would estimate). In the first room I could manage ~1 hour with the headset on, and for the second one about 15 minutes before it got too much.

I understand the insulation around the eyes, to make sure no light gets in and the headset is resting comfortably on your face, but it REALLY holds in the heat too much IMO. There should be more ventilation on top, or everything should just weigh less. Again, this was with the Rift. But I guess we'll get there at some point, when we reach google-less Minority Report style interfaces.. :)

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
i'm very old-fashioned (and need glasses to read with), so I won't be getting this piece of equipment.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
i'm very old-fashioned (and need glasses to read with), so I won't be getting this piece of equipment.

FWIW, I wear glasses, and can wear the headset. However not all glasses fit well. Some are just too wide.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
These are my two concerns, not having to move and controllers. Looking for updates.
What is the best VR headset that allows you to play games without having to run around, be sedentary at your desk? I don't remember the brand, but an $800 headset required 4 USB ports to fully function? Wow.

How about update on controllers if there has been any?

MerlinX10

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2015
I have hundreds of hours in VR now. Started with Vive and room scale only. Awesome room scale experiences were the only way to go at first, especially Vanishing Realms, Windlands, Space Pirate Trainer etc. Screen door annoyance and low-res are highly dependent on the game and art style. When you first load up you see it, but with immersion you really do forget about it.

Everyone knows we want higher res headsets but we're minimum a year out, maybe two. So, for now I've accepted the current gen and continue to enjoy it.

Lately I've been doing a lot more seated experiences. Minecraft (using Vivecraft) is very good and is played with the Vive wand controllers. The control scheme is perfect in my mind. It can be played seated or standing, and with teleport or full locomotion. I often sit in a swivel chair and play using full locomotion because over time I've become essentially immune to VR motion sickness. You can also sit facing one direction and set up your controllers to handle turning by clicking. For my preferences the Vivecraft control scheme with full locomotion is the gold standard.

Other seated games are played using Xbox One or 360 controller. I have a cheap X360 controller and play space sim with it (Firma -- love it, though you need to develop your VR legs). Windlands can be played full seated with X360 controller too. But my current relax time favorite is Dirt Rally (using Revive to get Vive support), with X360 controller. Graphically it's great and the "real" locations and immersion is absolutely fantastic. Elite Dangerous is great, I just put a few tape dots on my keyboard keys so I can feel where to place my fingers and I do just fine with keyboard/mouse.

Both Vive and Rift can be set up seated or standing. Sometimes I take my Vive and laptop on the road and set up a single Vive lighthouse in front of me for some seated play at a desk or table. BattleZone can also be played with a single sensor and controller in this way for a pretty quick and easy mobile VR setup.

I've used a colleagues Rift and it's pretty good too. Ironically, my Vive is more comfortable for me because I have a thin aftermarket leatherette face cushion and it seems to stay cooler, and (it also fits glasses-wearers much better.)

These days either headset is a good choice, only try to demo each one for comfort before buying. The most current Vive headsets are 15% lighter, now slightly lighter than Rift. But Rift is now much cheaper. Rifts head strap is an excellent system, but Vive has a redesigned one releasing soon that may help mitigate that advantage (though they'll charge for it). Vive tracking is definitely superior, but Rift touch controllers are excellent. I do like the Vive's touch controllers but I far prefer an analog stick vs the Vive's touchpad (its identical to the one on Steam controller). If Rift touch controllers worked on Vive I'd no doubt use those all the time.

I think they're both great systems. With Revive I can use nearly the whole Rift catalog as well (I play The Climb and others on Vive and enjoy it from time to time). If possible, always buy on Steam because of refund policy and cross platform compatibility. But definitely don't ignore the Room Scale on either system because there are some truly great experiences there and there are more coming.

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I have been playing some Star Trek Bridge Crew today and it's been great! Whether you take it seriously or not, it is a good time. Especially, if you're a trekkie.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have hundreds of hours in VR now. Started with Vive and room scale only. Awesome room scale experiences were the only way to go at first, especially Vanishing Realms, Windlands, Space Pirate Trainer etc. Screen door annoyance and low-res are highly dependent on the game and art style. When you first load up you see it, but with immersion you really do forget about it.

Everyone knows we want higher res headsets but we're minimum a year out, maybe two. So, for now I've accepted the current gen and continue to enjoy it.

Lately I've been doing a lot more seated experiences. Minecraft (using Vivecraft) is very good and is played with the Vive wand controllers. The control scheme is perfect in my mind. It can be played seated or standing, and with teleport or full locomotion. I often sit in a swivel chair and play using full locomotion because over time I've become essentially immune to VR motion sickness. You can also sit facing one direction and set up your controllers to handle turning by clicking. For my preferences the Vivecraft control scheme with full locomotion is the gold standard.

Other seated games are played using Xbox One or 360 controller. I have a cheap X360 controller and play space sim with it (Firma -- love it, though you need to develop your VR legs). Windlands can be played full seated with X360 controller too. But my current relax time favorite is Dirt Rally (using Revive to get Vive support), with X360 controller. Graphically it's great and the "real" locations and immersion is absolutely fantastic. Elite Dangerous is great, I just put a few tape dots on my keyboard keys so I can feel where to place my fingers and I do just fine with keyboard/mouse.

Both Vive and Rift can be set up seated or standing. Sometimes I take my Vive and laptop on the road and set up a single Vive lighthouse in front of me for some seated play at a desk or table. BattleZone can also be played with a single sensor and controller in this way for a pretty quick and easy mobile VR setup.

I've used a colleagues Rift and it's pretty good too. Ironically, my Vive is more comfortable for me because I have a thin aftermarket leatherette face cushion and it seems to stay cooler, and (it also fits glasses-wearers much better.)

These days either headset is a good choice, only try to demo each one for comfort before buying. The most current Vive headsets are 15% lighter, now slightly lighter than Rift. But Rift is now much cheaper. Rifts head strap is an excellent system, but Vive has a redesigned one releasing soon that may help mitigate that advantage (though they'll charge for it). Vive tracking is definitely superior, but Rift touch controllers are excellent. I do like the Vive's touch controllers but I far prefer an analog stick vs the Vive's touchpad (its identical to the one on Steam controller). If Rift touch controllers worked on Vive I'd no doubt use those all the time.

I think they're both great systems. With Revive I can use nearly the whole Rift catalog as well (I play The Climb and others on Vive and enjoy it from time to time). If possible, always buy on Steam because of refund policy and cross platform compatibility. But definitely don't ignore the Room Scale on either system because there are some truly great experiences there and there are more coming.

Thanks for the report! I'm still in the wait and see mode, but I think the time is drawing closer. I'm unlikely to spend close to the same amount my PC cost to build. $500 is a solid maybe once I'm confident the controllers are up to the task and I don't have to physically move around.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Never tried VR but domehow this idea allways comes back to me :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Try it at the store?

Buy it at a store that enables you to return it if you are not satisfied (Target gives 14 day returns on tech, or maybe even 30 since it may be considered an accessory).

Plus, it's only a $20 investment - hardly anything compared to the real headsets for PC...

(If you don't like it and can't return it, gift it to someone or a local school or teacher - there's a lot of education and travel VR stuff you can get for it.)

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
It's awesome. Get one of those small headsets for smartphones to just try it out...

(I tried it on the Viewmaster VR on sale for $20)

I will probably at least test something in the near future :)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

If you are farsighted you may find you don't need glasses in VR. Everything in there, no matter how close it appears to be, is actually on quite a distant focal plane.

Paulk

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Sweden
I still need glasses to write posts with, and to play in ordinary PBM, but I'll bear that in mind if I ever go VR...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As a general Mac centric comment, I wonder what Apple will do or is doing with their hardware to address the VR threat/challenge? How many Macs out there have the ability to handle VR?

Pulled from Elite Dangerous thread:

Oculus Rift. Curiosity got the better of me and I couldn't resist the current sale price. I'd never tried VR before, unless the Nintendo Virtual Boy counts (it doesn't), and I'd always thought it was a gimmick like 3D TVs.

Certainly for Elite, at least, I couldn't go back to seeing it on a normal monitor.

No, it doesn't.

VR you look around like you're in the world.

3D viewing is just the picture in front of you in 3D (original Viewmaster, 3D lenticular postcards, Nintendo 3DS).

Apologies If I've asked these things before. :oops: For both of you:
  • How are you with vertigo, nausea?
  • How is movement controlled riding in a space ship (I assume joystick/throttle), versus moving your character in a game WSAD, but the real question is I assume you must memorize your controls. This concerns me because, ED has quite a few commands including navigating side panels of your ship to input navigation and docking.
  • I've got both a Razer Gaming Mouse (12 buttons on side) and a Razer Nostromo, a miniaturized keyboard with a bunch more buttons and I wonder how that translates over to VR input?
  • How about voice comes in multiplayer? I frequently use programs like GameVox, Mumble, and Team Speak.
  • Why is the Oculus Sensor sold separately? Is that required if you are not physically moving around?
  • I'm curious if an OR can be returned for a full refund due to nausea or if there are locations where they can be test driven prior to purchase? I saw a VIVE unit at a MS Store That could be tested by customers, but that was one of those where you have to physically move around. I found this online about Amazon allowing you to return a unit within 30 days, but does that still apply, I wonder?
  • 4 USB ports required to run, hmm.

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
As a general Mac centric comment, I wonder what Apple will do or is doing with their hardware to address the VR threat/challenge? How many Macs out there have the ability to handle VR?

Pulled from Elite Dangerous thread:

Apologies If I've asked these things before. :oops: For both of you:
  • How are you with vertigo, nausea?
  • How is movement controlled riding in a space ship (I assume joystick/throttle), versus moving your character in a game WSAD, but the real question is I assume you must memorize your controls. This concerns me because, ED has quite a few commands including navigating side panels of your ship to input navigation and docking.
  • I've got both a Razer Gaming Mouse (12 buttons on side) and a Razer Nostromo, a miniaturized keyboard with a bunch more buttons and I wonder how that translates over to VR input?
  • How about voice comes in multiplayer? I frequently use programs like GameVox, Mumble, and Team Speak.
  • Why is the Oculus Sensor sold separately? Is that required if you are not physically moving around?
  • I'm curious if an OR can be returned for a full refund due to nausea or if there are locations where they can be test driven prior to purchase? I saw a VIVE unit at a MS Store That could be tested by customers, but that was one of those where you have to physically move around. I found this online about Amazon allowing you to return a unit within 30 days, but does that still apply, I wonder?
  • 4 USB ports required to run, hmm.

I have PSVR...

- Make sure you can try the game before purchase, or get it used at Gamestop (PSVR) who has a money-back satisfaction guarantee (return within 7 days for full refund). For Steam, you have 2 hours within 2 weeks for a refund to see if the game even works properly (VR on a PC is a lot more cumbersome to get working).

- I mainly have PSVR Space Sims (EVE, Star Wars Battlefront, COD IW VR). These all use the PS controller. You have to memorize the placement (which is easy on a console controller). Battlezone has a "virtual controller" on the screen (PSVR can track the controller since it also has a tracking light).

- Can't answer - I don't use expensive mice/keyboards.

- Don't use voice multiplayer

- Those sensors are used primarily if you are moving around. At the desk/couch, there are the built-in gyroscopes.

- Definitely get it from a place that has a return policy. I got my PSVR at Gamestop since they had massive trade-in allowances for it, but I already knew I was going to keep it (Gamestop has no non-defective returns on new systems). I had already tried the PSVR at Bestbuy a couple of times when Sony was doing a demo tour with it. Gamestop now has used PSVR's which also have the 7 day money-back satisfaction guarantee (though there a few good deals on new ones right now).

- Yep, PSVR requires only 2, 1 for the camera, and 1 to go into a control box, and from my understanding, it is to pass the audio to the headset jack.

Take the plunge! Good luck!

Reactions: Huntn

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
How are you with vertigo, nausea?
First weekend I got it I stayed up late and played for hours. The next couple of days I felt really weird. When I was looking at flat monitors at work the text would seem to shift around. It was like everything was floating, and when I reached to grab something off my desk the distance would seem slightly wrong, as though my hand wouldn't connect with it. A bit worrying, to be honest, but it never happened again and I'm fine with it now. I guess I've got my VR legs.
How is movement controlled riding in a space ship (I assume joystick/throttle), versus moving your character in a game WSAD, but the real question is I assume you must memorize your controls. This concerns me because, ED has quite a few commands including navigating side panels of your ship to input navigation and docking.
You can't see your hands unless you're holding the Oculus controllers, so keyboard / mouse is probably out. The controller should be similar to what you have in the game, if you see what I mean. Elite with a stick and throttle is perfect, I have every in-game function mapped to the buttons so I never take my hands off them. I find using an Xbox controller for driving games to be a bit strange, though. I'm thinking of buying a steering wheel.
I've got both a Razer Gaming Mouse (12 buttons on side) and a Razer Nostromo, a miniaturized keyboard with a bunch more buttons and I wonder how that translates over to VR input?
I have a Nostromo too, but see above. Using inappropriate controllers sort of breaks the immersion.
How about voice comes in multiplayer? I frequently use programs like GameVox, Mumble, and Team Speak.
Why is the Oculus Sensor sold separately? Is that required if you are not physically moving around?
Oculus has a mic and headphones built in, works really well. The multiplayer game I tried, Echo Arena, handles voice on its own. It has directional audio, you just go close to somebody to talk to them and it feels/sounds like they're standing in front of you. You get two sensors with the package, I think the third is for if you want it to be able to track your hands while you have your back to it, which hasn't been a problem for me so far. It can still track your head but obscuring your hands makes it lose sight of them.
4 USB ports required to run, hmm.
Only three, unless you buy an extra sensor. Depending on your motherboard it can saturate your USB 3 controller, it requires huge bandwidth. I had to buy an extra PCI USB 3 card. Also, your 970 is the minimum spec (!) so you won't be able to ramp up things like supersampling that make the image a lot sharper. The hardware requirements are what will prevent this being truly mass market for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.