Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitenoise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
U.K.
http://luckyviplav.blogspot.com/2011/06/windows-7-on-mac-os-x-through-virtual.html

I found that page, but I don't seem to be having any success. Since I haven't used the Terminal window, I seem to be missing something, about how the operation is performed.

Is there any chance one of you guys could take a look and show me what I'm doing wrong? :eek:

I actually want to temporarily unmount the Bootcamp drive, as I will want to restart into Bootcamp, as well as in VirtualBox - so I have jumped to the end of the first step.

I have ejected the BOOTCAMP drive and then, in Terminal, typed:

$sudo chmod 777 /dev/disk0s3

unfortunately i get the message:

chmod: Unable to change file mode on /dev/disk0s3: Operation not permitted

So, I need to change permissions?

EDIT:
So.......I typed in "sudo chmod 777 /dev/disk0s3", (- the $), and got a warning message and asked to type in password, but the keyboard wont accept my input? I can ctrl-c back out though. I have also ran repair disk permissions, but it hasn't done anything that I can see.

Last edited:

whitenoise

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
U.K.
I have no idea why I couldn't use the "$sudo" command without getting the error, but I have managed to complete this using "sudo" and typing in the password. (I didn't realise that the terminal doesn't show any indication that the password is being typed! :eek: )

I followed the rest of the instructions and it seems to be working. Hope this helps anyone else getting confused with this. Thanks to the 300+ people who read the post, even if they couldn't help. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.