Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I've just recently updated from 10.9.5 to PB5/GM candidate 2.0. I've tested all my apps for compatibility and all seems fine but VirtualBox.

On Mavericks if I went to full-screen mode (host + F), the virtual machine occupied seperate desk/workspace and I could easily three-finger swipe back to my OS X desktop.

Now it seems that behaviour changed to going fullscreen on the same desktop/workspace (just like iPhoto slideshow, I guess).

This thread is just to confirm if it's not just me. If it's working as it should for others, I'll try fiddling with it. I just don't want to waste time on something that is not working for anybody.

EDIT: The easy workaround is adding new desktop, moving VB window there and then going full-screen. Works just like under Mavericks.

Last edited:

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There was an early-on issue with VirtualBox at the time of Mavericks release last fall. Hopefully VirtualBox will be a little more pro-active to update before Yosemite comes out.

Utility software on a Mac is inherently a minefield issue during OS upgrades. It's up to the developers (VirtualBox, in this particular case) to stay current with timely, compatible releases.

It's not like Apple just plops down a brand new OS X version upgrade without any fair warning. That's for sure.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I agree with you on that.

I just wanted to find out if it's not something specific to my installation. Maybe VirtualBox got corrupted during OS update?

I don't want to reinstall it without first confirming that other people don't have that issue.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I got so frustrated with VB relative to Yosemite a few days ago, opted instead of using my old free Parallels 8 license to get a copy of Parallels Desktop 10.

I wish you luck, my best experience with VB was deleting it and all of its support files from my rMBP - not worth the cost of future therapy for me, and Win 7/8.1 are working smoothly again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.