Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2018
Currently I have two MacBook Pros (the below models):

15" Mid-July 2014, Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD model
13" Mid-July 2017, Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD with TouchBar model

A BootCamp partition of 250GB SSD is installed on both MacBooks to run Visual Studio 2017 (full installation of around 90GB), and Visio.

I have been thinking of running a VM (installed with Windows 10, Visual Studio & Visio) on an external USB3.0 SSD (Samsung EVO 860 - 500GB), using Parallels Desktop.
This Virtual Machine would be used on both Macbooks (not simalteneously), without having to perform updates and maintain two machines.

I have found the below enclosure, which comes with both USB-A & USB-C type adapters (cables):
https://www.vantecusa.com/products_...losures&pt_id=1&pt_name=Hard+Drive+Enclosures

Any thoughts about performance issues or recommendations?

Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I run my iMac off an external SSD and the performance is very good, so I think a VM on an external drive won't be horrible.

This Virtual Machine would be used on both Macbooks (not simalteneously), without having to perform updates and maintain two machines.
I'm not entirely sure that will be workable, not that I tried that before. My only suggestion is to fully shutdown (don't suspend) the VM and it maybe ok

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.