Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
View attachment 808380
I also have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running in VirtualBox ;)

I believe I made an .iso of the retail DVD and used that to boot from. The VM is configured as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (32 bit). You can't install the 64 bit version.

Limitations are that screen resolution is stuck at 1024 x 768, and graphics are very slow.

I was even able to restore all my settings and apps from an old Carbon Copy Cloner backup on an external drive.

Cheers :)

Hugh

What do you mean by “spreading lies”? You have installed it illegally. Leopard and Snow leopard are not licensed to run in virtual machines. Who is lying now?
This is quite a grey area in my view, as VirtualBox allowed me to install client Snow Leopard with no hint of licensing issues.
Does this make me also a pirate, since I used an SL disc that I still own, and restored an account (from Carbon Copy Cloner) that I still run on another machine?
PS, I’ve compounded the crime by installing Leopard client in VirtualBox, again with no mention of whether or not I am allowed.

I have a feeling that so many years after the release of Snow Leopard, Apple is no longer bothered by such things ;)

Hugh

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
This is quite a grey area in my view, as VirtualBox allowed me to install client Snow Leopard with no hint of licensing issues.
Does this make me also a pirate, since I used an SL disc that I still own, and restored an account (from Carbon Copy Cloner) that I still run on another machine?
PS, I’ve compounded the crime by installing Leopard client in VirtualBox, again with no mention of whether or not I am allowed.

I have a feeling that so many years after the release of Snow Leopard, Apple is no longer bothered by such things ;)

Hugh
Just to be clear I am not insisting you can't install Leopard or Snow Leopard just that it is not legal. First of all you can only virtualize legally MacOS on an Apple hardware. Which technically means whatever Parallels can install is legal. Parallels actually copies the serial number of the host to the guest. Try installing Leopard in Parallels. I also have Leopard Server which has no problem installing in Parallels.

Supported Guest Operating Systems (Mac with Apple M-series chip)​

Only ARM versions of operating systems are supported.

• Windows 11 (recommended)
  • Ubuntu Linux 22.04, 21.10, 21.04, 20.10, 20.04
  • Fedora Workstation 36, 35, 34, 33-1.2
  • Debian GNU/Linux 11, 10
  • Kali Linux 2022.2, 2022.1, 2021.3
  • macOS Monterey 12 (in-app download)
  • macOS Ventura 13

Supported Guest Operating Systems (Mac with Intel processor):​

Only x86 versions of operating systems are supported.

• Windows 11 (recommended)
  • Windows 10
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 8
  • Windows Server 2022
  • Windows Server 2019
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows 7 (SP0-SP1)
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 (SP0-SP2)
  • Windows Vista Home, Business, Ultimate and Enterprise (SP0-SP2)
  • Windows Server 2003 R2 (SP0-SP2)
  • Windows XP (SP0-SP3)
  • Windows 2000 Professional SP4
  • Windows 2000 Server SP4
  • Boot2Docker
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 9, 8 and 7
  • CentOS Linux 9 Stream, 8, 7
  • Fedora Linux 36, 35, 34, 33
  • Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, 21.10, 21.04, 20.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS, 16.04 LTS
  • Debian GNU/Linux 11, 10
  • Suse Linux Enterprise 15
  • OpenSUSE Linux 15.2, 15.1, 15
  • Linux Mint 20, 19
  • Kali 2022.2, 2022.1, 2020.2, 2019, 2018
  • Elementary OS 6, 5
  • Manjaro 21, 19, 18
  • Mageia 8, 7
  • Gentoo Linux **
  • Solaris 11, 10 **
  • openBSD 6 **
  • FreeBSD 12, 11 **
  • openVZ 7
  • eComStation 2, 1.2 **
  • ReactOS 0.4 **
  • Android OS*
  • macOS Ventura 13.0 ***
  • macOS Monterey 12.0
  • macOS Big Sur 11.0
  • macOS Catalina 10.15
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.x
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.x
  • macOS Sierra 10.12.x
  • OS X El Capitan 10.11.x
  • OS X Yosemite 10.10.x
  • OS X Mavericks 10.9.x
  • OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.x
  • OS X Lion 10.7.x
  • OS X Lion Server 10.7.x
  • Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server 10.6.x
  • Mac OS X Leopard Server 10.5.x
  • and many more...

Oracle VM VirtualBox enables you to install and execute unmodified versions of Mac OS X guests on supported host hardware. Note that this feature is experimental and thus unsupported.
Be aware of the following important issues before you attempt to install a Mac OS X guest:

• Mac OS X is commercial, licensed software and contains both license and technical restrictions that limit its use to certain hardware and usage scenarios. You must understand and comply with these restrictions.
    In particular, Apple prohibits the installation of most versions of Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.
    These license restrictions are also enforced on a technical level. Mac OS X verifies that it is running on Apple hardware. Most DVDs that accompany Apple hardware check for the exact model. These restrictions are not circumvented by Oracle VM VirtualBox and continue to apply.
  • Only CPUs that are known and tested by Apple are supported. As a result, if your Intel CPU is newer than the Mac OS X build, or if you have a non-Intel CPU, you will likely encounter a panic during bootup with an "Unsupported CPU" exception.
    Ensure that you use the Mac OS X DVD that comes with your Apple hardware.
  • The Mac OS X installer expects the hard disk to be partitioned. So, the installer will not offer a partition selection to you. Before you can install the software successfully, start the Disk Utility from the Tools menu and partition the hard disk. Close the Disk Utility and proceed with the installation.
  • In addition, Mac OS X support in Oracle VM VirtualBox is an experimental feature. See Known Limitations.

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
For your info. I only have Apple machines, but using VirtualBox allows me to use some PPC software from my iMac for example, without the need to reboot into the Snow Leopard partition and back again when finished ;)

I have licensed copies of VMware and agree they stop such installation, Parallels free version too I think.

I hope this explains my actions.

Hugh

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Can someone please explain how to create an ISO file from Snow Leopard that I can use with Virtual Box?
I have an original Snow Leopard installation DVD purchased several years ago.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Can someone please explain how to create an ISO file from Snow Leopard that I can use with Virtual Box?
I have an original Snow Leopard installation DVD purchased several years ago.
Follow this example and adapt it for Snow Leopard.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Cool! Thanks :)
I'm no programmer but I think I can handle it after clearing up a few things:

1) I already have the installer (I made a DMG file out of it, from the Snow Leopard installer DVD), so I assume I can remove the following section, right?
Code:
if [ ! -f /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg ]; then
    echo "Download the OS X Mavericks App and then rerun this script."
    open "https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-mavericks/id675248567"
    exit 1
fi

2) I already have a DMG file (I believe I used Disk Utility to make that disk image from the Snow Leopard installation DVD back when I bought it, so I could have a hard-drive backup copy). If I double-click the DMG file it opens with the same contents as of the DVD. There's an app there (with a "prohibited" icon over it, indicating that I can't even install it from MacOS 10.13 High Sierra that I'm currently using) named "Install Mac OS X" (and if I right click and select "Get info" it shows it to be a .app file). Is this equivalent to the "Mavericks.app" file below? If so, I have a problem as I can't find anything similar to the file structure below, nor is there a DMG file in there (I right-clicked on the installer app and chose "Show package contents"):
Code:
# Mount the installer image
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Cool! Thanks :)
I'm no programmer but I think I can handle it after clearing up a few things:

1) I already have the installer (I made a DMG file out of it, from the Snow Leopard installer DVD), so I assume I can remove the following section, right?
Code:
if [ ! -f /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg ]; then
    echo "Download the OS X Mavericks App and then rerun this script."
    open "https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-mavericks/id675248567"
    exit 1
fi

2) I already have a DMG file (I believe I used Disk Utility to make that disk image from the Snow Leopard installation DVD back when I bought it, so I could have a hard-drive backup copy). If I double-click the DMG file it opens with the same contents as of the DVD. There's an app there (with a "prohibited" icon over it, indicating that I can't even install it from MacOS 10.13 High Sierra that I'm currently using) named "Install Mac OS X" (and if I right click and select "Get info" it shows it to be a .app file). Is this equivalent to the "Mavericks.app" file below? If so, I have a problem as I can't find anything similar to the file structure below, nor is there a DMG file in there (I right-clicked on the installer app and chose "Show package contents"):
Code:
# Mount the installer image
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify
The easiest way is to install El Capitan in Parallels and do it from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.