Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nndei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Hello, I have a macOS High Sierra partition, file format used is APFS encrypted. (FileVault is shown as activated in system preferences, that gives APFS the encryption?).

If I now create a bootcamp partition and lets say get a virus there on Windows 10, is the Mac partition safe?
It is indeed encrypted I think, so I would say it can't read /write.
Is there anything else I can do, maybe in windows, to block any possible access to the macOS partition?

nndei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Yes... Windows will not be able to write to that Mac partition at all.
What if I have mounted bootcamp in macOS, I mean, I can totally read what's in it through finder-> devices... Can they communicate that way? Or can Mac just read what's there but not get a virus that's in bootcamp's partition?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What if I have mounted bootcamp in macOS, I mean, I can totally read what's in it though finder-> devices... Can they communicate that way? Or can Mac just read what's there but not get a virus that's in bootcamp's partition?
I'm confused by what you are saying. You said the Mac drive is encrypted with FileVault. Unless you mount and unlock the drive while in Windows, there is no way Windows can write to that Mac volume. Even then you would have to install a third party utility/driver to allow Windows to write to the Mac volume.

nndei

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
I'm confused by what you are saying. You said the Mac drive is encrypted with FileVault. Unless you mount and unlock the drive while in Windows, there is no way Windows can write to that Mac volume. Even then you would have to install a third party utility/driver to allow Windows to write to the Mac volume.
Hi thank you for the quick reply.
I am saying that in the macOS partition I can open a finder tab and you know there's Favorites on the left, then devices. In devices there's Bootcamp, I can access that and see my bootcamp part. documents.
That means nothing virus wise? It's just the macOS partition reading Windows one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.