Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Okay, I'm interested in installing Windows via Boot Camp in order to play a couple of the (very small amount of) games I play, but I'm not quite sure if I want to install Windows.

If I go into Windows and as quickly as possible turn off Wi-fi and make sure it never goes on, I won't be able to get a virus or any other form of malware, right? (I'm not too worried about viruses, but it's easy to get spyware/adware. I must have OCD or something because I hate the possibility of one malware file on my computer.)

Also, to turn off Wi-fi in Windows, it's in the Control Panel, right? I can make sure it never comes on as well, right?

Last question. For those who have completed the installation, is it easy? I don't want to have problems doing this.

Why thank you for reading. :)

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Just make sure you turn on the firewall when you install and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Though the Windows Firewall is Sh*t as it's outgoing only you can still get Malware.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Eraserhead said:
Though the Windows Firewall is Sh*t as it's outgoing only you can still get Malware.

Only cause of malware would be from user error with that firewall up.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Thank you! It was kind of a stupid question, but you know. I was wondering.

But I won't need a firewall on at all if I don't have any Internet connection, right? (I'm certain this is true, I just want clarification.) And nothing bad can happen? No malware, no hackers, etc...

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
thegreatluke said:

But I won't need a firewall on at all if I don't have any Internet connection, right? (I'm certain this is true, I just want clarification.) And nothing bad can happen? No malware, no hackers, etc...

How the hell would it get on there if you never plug it into the internet? lol

If you aren't using it on the internet, the only cause for "bad things" to happen would be at your fault.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
No, the windows firewall is incoming only. It allows outgoing traffic. PC World recommends using the Zone Alarm firewall instead, as it is both incoming and outgoing protection. Free from Zone Labs.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You do understand that most malware doesn't come from someone hacking into your machine? -- it comes from things you have explicitly brought into your machine yourself.

Shareware and p2p software or browser 'toolbars' that comes with spyware or adware 'add-ons' that you may or may not be informed of.
Emails with file attachments, poisioned graphics, or HTML and Javascript that load items from an external site as soon as you open *or Preview* the mail.
Websites that load ActiveX software or scripts or popups or try to alter your browser settings.

So the main threat is from things you invite into your computer yourself, so by definition, a firewall will provide little or no protection.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
thegreatluke said:

If you don't connect to the net, then the only way malware can make its way in is from cd's, usb pen drives etc. In other words its "safe".

Edit - put quotes round "safe". I dont like using absolutes lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.