Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I have four CCs loaded to my Apple Wallet, but one of the four won't work as a Payment Method in either my own ID's Payment & Shipping setting, nor in the Media & Purchases area below, which belongs to the AppleID I share with wife. In these latter places, when I attempt to Add Payment and put the card in, it does appear in the list, but only as a generic name Visa and generic icon also. Doesn't show (Apple Pay) in the list, and when I select it there is no Device Account Number shown, or :apple:Pay icon as there appear for the other three, just the .... .... .... 1234 (last four) and then blank Expires date and blank CVV code.

I have called the CC provider Elan Financial and they don't help--they say only that it's approved for Apple digital wallet and again, yes it does work with Apple Wallet. I've tried of course removing the card and re-asserting it in these two areas to no different result, and if I try to make a purchase with that card selected as the #1 card, it's declined and Apple skips to the 2nd card on the list and that works.

Does anyone here know what's going on and why a card might work with Apple Wallet but not as a Pay Method inside of iOS???

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Sometimes Apple wants you to verify a card. Have you clicked settings>appleID>payment & shipping then click on the card to see if it says you have verification pending or something.

This is different than the Wallet app so it’s possible to have a card in you Wallet but not added to your payment & shipping which means it won’t use a card for app purchases, Apple subscriptions, etc.

Reactions: laserfan

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Thanks SL for that; yeah I did all manner of clicking and nothing like "verification pending" showed, but here's an odd thing: after struggling with this and posting here I looked at it again this morning and the settings from yesterday changed overnight! I had given-up trying to get the Elan VISA to appear as Verified and left it in both payment locations as the 4th card in line, and now today one of those locations changed, my "Payment & Shipping" under my AppleID (the third line there) now shows the Elan card not only as a valid Apple Pay card, with a Device Acct Number and the :apple:Pay icon, but as First on the list! Where I'd set it yesterday to 4th cuz it was not verified! Odder still, my Amazon Prime VISA card which before was listed 2nd I think is now 4th and is Not Verfied i.e. has a generic icon and no acct # or Pay icon.

Down below that setting, where the Media & Purchases area is with our other AppleID, the Manage Payments settings have not changed i.e. they are still the way I'd left them yesterday with the Elan VISA listed last and not verified for Apple Pay.

It seems likely to me that while adding cards to the Wallet happens iirc "instantly", these two payment areas under AppleID do NOT happen instantly and I may have confused Apple's verification system with the multiple attempts I made to add the CC. Perhaps also Apple is not expecting quite FOUR credit cards from their customers, or is buggy/poorly tested for that, and I should probably re-think it, and perhaps even just set these up with ONE cc and be done with it.

Last edited:

laserfan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Well I did cut the number of cards in both areas: Payment & Shipping for my own ID, and Media & Purchases for our family ID, and only Payment & Shipping shows the Elan card as valid for Apple Pay--the other entry is shown as generic and non-functional for Apple Pay.

Apple's system is broken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.