Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Got the low battery warning on my Vision Pro. Luckily I have a 2nd battery which I hadn't opened. Connected it and it doesn't come charged. I then connected the 1st battery to the VP charger and left it for a few minutes. VP worked for a while, longer than it was left just charging, but then got the low battery warning.

Even with the supplied charger connected the battery will eventually completely discharge when in use. I would assume that with lower capacity chargers, such as an airplane USB port the extended battery time when connected to power will be even less.

Now have the 2nd battery charging via a USB port. Will see if it charges overnight.

• Haha
Reactions: d0sed0se

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
It seems to discharge of left connected to a switched off AVP. So I disconnect at night before putting it away.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
So I left the 2nd battery connected to USB overnight. After 12 hours is was charged to 80%. Conclusion:

1. Use the Apple supplied or other charger to get the fastest charge
2. When in use the battery will discharge faster than it charges using the Apple charger. Unknown if a different charger would make a difference
3. It will charge via a standard USB port but it will be very slow to charge

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
So I left the 2nd battery connected to USB overnight. After 12 hours is was charged to 80%. Conclusion:

1. Use the Apple supplied or other charger to get the fastest charge
2. When in use the battery will discharge faster than it charges using the Apple charger. Unknown if a different charger would make a difference
3. It will charge via a standard USB port but it will be very slow to charge
While I have not yet used Apple's supplied 30W charger, I have used other chargers (they're what I already have), and all of them can supply more than 30W. With these, he battery will charge with the AVP in use. I'll often do that to top off the battery.

Note that the battery can use up to 60W+. Apple is just being cheap by supplying the slowest usable charger (30W).

Edit: just checked, one of my chargers -- which did charge the AVP battery while using the AVP -- is only a 30W charger. You probably should get your charger checked if it can't charge the AVP battery while using the AVP.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

zerocustom1989

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I’ve read Airplane seat outlets tend to shut off if you try to pull more than 30W from them, so they included the max charger for that situation.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Mine never gets below 100% while plugged in to the included charger,

My conditions were a bit different. The problem occurred when the battery was low (<20%). At higher charge levels when attached to power the battery will go to full charge even when use. Trying again once the battery is low.

Find it interesting that if you pick up the battery the charge indication light turns on briefly. It's not just a simple battery.

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
The supply charger is only 30 W. If you want a faster charge, use a 60 W charger or battery pack that can output 60 W through its USB-C. I had an old high capacity battery, but it only output 30 W through the USB-C so I’m getting a new high capacity battery that can output a higher rate in order to fast charge the AVP battery when in use.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I let my battery drop to 20% and then connected a 30W charger to it while using the AVP (I didn't use the Apple charger, though). The charge level went up slowly and I stopped paying attention until around 55%. Using a USB power meter, the battery + AVP was using up ~29W the entire time. No games were being used, though. This was with web browsing, youtube videos via safari, and Narwhal 2.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Not true. I've let mine get down to about 15% then plugged it in with the supplied 30W charger, continued using it, and the charge went back to 100%. I've tested this out several times, and it always charges faster than it drains.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Ran a 2nd test today and the battery did charge up from the 20% level.

So with sufficient power from a power supply it will charge. USB ports likely will not.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I used my AVP for almost 5 hours yesterday, including nearly two hours on battery alone (then plugged back in). 96w MacBook Pro charger. No issue with the battery draining faster than it was charging.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Got the low battery warning on my Vision Pro. Luckily I have a 2nd battery which I hadn't opened. Connected it and it doesn't come charged. I then connected the 1st battery to the VP charger and left it for a few minutes. VP worked for a while, longer than it was left just charging, but then got the low battery warning.

Even with the supplied charger connected the battery will eventually completely discharge when in use. I would assume that with lower capacity chargers, such as an airplane USB port the extended battery time when connected to power will be even less.

Now have the 2nd battery charging via a USB port. Will see if it charges overnight.
Heat will greatly slow down charging. I had the pack in my pocket and it wasnt charging faster then hhe drain. Cooled off the pack issue solved.

micvice

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2020
1710306468122.jpeg

The Vision Pro battery can draw 55+ watts so I normally don’t use the supplied charger.

Reactions: upthespurs

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
It's typical Apple to ship a $3500 device that can draw 60W and give you a 30W charger
But it doesn't mean you have to use the 30W charger.
I never did - didn't open it or use it - left it sealed.

I used my humongous Macbook Pro charger on it and recharged in super fast time.

30W charger is great for travel (small & light), compared to hauling around a 140W MBP charger.....

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
The battery can draw 60w or the Vision Pro itself?
The battery alone can draw 60W+ although it usually draws less.

Like the old iPhones that could charge at 10W-12W but came with cheesy 5W chargers, Apple is shipping a 30W charger with the AVP.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
The battery alone can draw 60W+ although it usually draws less.

Like the old iPhones that could charge at 10W-12W but came with cheesy 5W chargers, Apple is shipping a 30W charger with the AVP.
Gotcha thanks. It’s very rare I ever need anything charged quickly. I’ve just been using the supplied charger.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
But it doesn't mean you have to use the 30W charger.
I never did - didn't open it or use it - left it sealed.

I used my humongous Macbook Pro charger on it and recharged in super fast time.

30W charger is great for travel (small & light), compared to hauling around a 140W MBP charger.....
Yeah I'm using my macbook charger for my AVP - but still - I'm spending the better part of four grand why be stingy? It's just the characteristic consumer hostility (towards the highest paying customers) that irks me about some of Apple's decisions (but I keep buying Apple stuff...🙃)

Think about it this way - Vision pro under high load apparently draws more than 30W total. So, if you're using the charger it came with, there is theoretically a use case where even plugged into the wall, you'll kill the Vision Pro's battery and have to shut down.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Have not had this issue with the included charger. /shrug
I have so many other chargers, both from Apple and 3rd party, that I haven't actually unwrapped the 30w brick my AVP came with. Most of my chargers are 45w or greater with the exception of ones continuously plugged in for specific devices like the 20w adapters for my HomePod minis and such.

Next to the sofa I've got a 100w three-port Anker - two USB-C and one USB-A (with a Lightning cable plugged into it for my AirPods Max and wife's phone). It has no problem running my AVP while quickly charging the battery and charging something else at the same time. Even bigger items like my iPad Pro or wife's MacBook Air.

I've got my MBP's 96w brick next to my desk that I can plug the AVP into when I'm either using it at my desk or just recharging it (or to recharge my iPad Pro). The MBP itself is usually plugged into my Studio Displays so no need for a separate charger for it.

And when I travel, I have another Anker multiport high wattage charger (it's either 100w or 120w; can't recall) that I usually bring with me which will also have no issue keeping up with the AVP (along with whatever other devices I may have with me like phone, AirPods, Watch, iPad Pro/mini, MBP, etc).

I've only had the AVP for 8 days now, so no opportunity yet to travel with it other than taking it to work once. But I've worn it at home for 3+ hours at a time and I've never had the battery continue to deplete while plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.