Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewToAMBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
My Dad has decided to not keep the Vision Pro, he loves it but just thinks it needs some more time to be prime. He is wondering though if anyone has any feedback on if he should ship it back to Apple via the online return process or if it would be safer or better to take it to his local Apple Store? He is worried about something going wrong if it ships, but then also worries about getting robbed taking it back in a mall. Any feedback or ideas? Thanks all.

EDIT: Added a Return Story option as well. I posted my Dads story below

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
My Dad has decided to not keep the Vision Pro, he loves it but just thinks it needs some more time to be prime. He is wondering though if anyone has any feedback on if he should ship it back to Apple via the online return process or if it would be safer or better to take it to his local Apple Store? He is worried about something going wrong if it ships, but then also worries about getting robbed taking it back in a mall. Any feedback or ideas? Thanks all.

Ship it and don’t have a second thought. This isn’t a trade in.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
How did he buy it? Was it shipped directly to his house?

I feel it mostly depends on what is more of a pain in the butt. Getting to the Apple Store or packing the thing up, putting a label on it and taking it to UPS or Fedex. For me, going to the Apple Store is easier. It really just depends on where you live and how you feel about that location.

I think the only benefit of returning it via UPS is you might be able to keep it a week or so longer because once you process the online return, I think it gives you two weeks from that day to ship it out.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I traded in my iPhone this past September back to Apple by mail, first time doing so. Apple calls me and tells me they only received an empty box!! so UPS clearly stole it. They still gave me my trade in value though. I would not risk sending the AVP back by mail for same reason.

Not sure why your dad should be concerned about getting robbed going to the mall. Put the box in a bag where no one can see it. You are going TO the store where no one has any clue you are returning something, and once you return there is nothing to rob!! Thats very different from buying the AVP at the mall and leaving FROM the store - there I can see a concern.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I would personally hand deliver it back to the apple store. I don't want something getting lost in the mail. Few people know what it even is.
This is why I would absolutely take it back to the store myself. You transfer the risk to Apple as soon as the transaction is done, and you get a receipt. Really easy.

Eastbay

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
How is the 14 day period handled when you ship it back? Do you have to ship it on the 14th day, or request the return by then?

NewToAMBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
Has anyone else returned theirs yet at a store? My Dad went on Saturday and returned everything. He told me they just opened the box to see the Vision Pro and never even touched it or inspected it, jsut looked that it was there, he said they didnt even look at the battery or anything.

He said the employee was really nice, never even asked him why he wanted to return it. He sees online that the case he bought with it shows as returend but the Vision Pro still shows the ship back date, as he started the return online, but then took it to the store. He got an email and a pritned paper that shows it was taken back but is just wondering why it still shows the ship back date on the Vision and the case shows refund sent.

If anyone else has any return stories to share, feel free too. He would like to know if everyone esle had an ok time doing a return, he thought they were going to ask a lot of questions or do a detailed inspection. I think it went so smooth hes still in disbelief. lol

jtptus

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
Returned the AVP and a second battery to the local Apple store last Friday. Easy and a credit to my Apple card account turned up immediately. My issue was the fog/haze/smear that appeared on the screen during film viewing. Could not get it to go away and once seen, I fixated on it. A serious flaw for me. Had a sidebar chat about optics with the two Apple employees who helped me. When it worked correctly, the visual experience was spectacular. If/when that flaw gets addressed I will buy the AVP again. I really wanted the device to work but as others have noted, for that breathtaking price point there were too many compromises to accept in AVP gen 1.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Returned the AVP and a second battery to the local Apple store last Friday. Easy and a credit to my Apple card account turned up immediately. My issue was the fog/haze/smear that appeared on the screen during film viewing. Could not get it to go away and once seen, I fixated on it. A serious flaw for me. Had a sidebar chat about optics with the two Apple employees who helped me. When it worked correctly, the visual experience was spectacular. If/when that flaw gets addressed I will buy the AVP again. I really wanted the device to work but as others have noted, for that breathtaking price point there were too many compromises to accept in AVP gen 1.

Returned mine in store on Saturday and still haven't received a refund, which is shocking for Apple. Also used my Apple Card too. Figured I would give it a few more days before I reach out. Thank God they emailed me a receipt for the refund.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I posted this in another thread - this is a new experience for me. When trying to return the Vision Pro, the point-of-sale device at my local Apple Store said that the headset could only be returned at the Store where it was purchased (even though it was a web order that I picked up). The staff there, including manager, had never seen that. Some potential factors:
  1. I started an online return first - though they told me this shouldn't matter
  2. I separately cancelled the Zeiss lenses that I ordered before they shipped - though they had a separate order number
  3. I have returned or cancelled several orders lately - partly indecision, partly faulty products - I've probably returned or exchanged 5 of my last 6 or 7 orders. Just trying to be transparent (they did not suggest this was an issue, and none have been near the magnitude of this, price wise - nearly all of those were FineWoven cases)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I posted this in another thread - this is a new experience for me. When trying to return the Vision Pro, the point-of-sale device at my local Apple Store said that the headset could only be returned at the Store where it was purchased (even though it was a web order that I picked up). The staff there, including manager, had never seen that. Some potential factors:
  2. I separately cancelled the Zeiss lenses that I ordered before they shipped - though they had a separate order number
  3. I have returned or cancelled several orders lately - partly indecision, partly faulty products - I've probably returned or exchanged 5 of my last 6 or 7 orders. Just trying to be transparent (they did not suggest this was an issue, and none have been near the magnitude of this, price wise - nearly all of those were FineWoven cases)

I did an online order, but I picked it up in store. I was able to return it to the store I picked it up at (and it had a web order number). Did they end up overriding it and doing your return?

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I did an online order, but I picked it up in store. I was able to return it to the store I picked it up at (and it had a web order number). Did they end up overriding it and doing your return?
No, they were unable to override. No option to do so, even by manager.

And to be clear, this was a different store (about 30 min closer to home).

NewToAMBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
My Dad just checked and he got the refund on his credit card for the Vision Pro, but not yet for the case. He told me if he goes to Apple.com to check, it shows the refund has been sent for the case and the Vision Pro still shows to return and print out a label. So it seems to be odd, but he will give the case refund some time to show up.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
No, they were unable to override. No option to do so, even by manager.

And to be clear, this was a different store (about 30 min closer to home).
As a further update, I brought it back to the original store and returned without issue. Now awaiting my 512 GB config to be in stock.

NewToAMBP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2023
My Dad still has not gotten the refund for the case, but he did get an email today asking him to fill out a survey about the Vision Pro. He took it and explained to me it was very detailed and had a lot of options to choose from when it asked what could be "improved" or "changed" that would have made the experience or product better, the last page had a if you would like to explain section, where he told me he wrote a lot.

rj41978

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Thinking of returning my AVP. Do I need to make an appointment before arriving to my store or just show up anytime?

jtptus

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
Thinking of returning my AVP. Do I need to make an appointment before arriving to my store or just show up anytime?
No appointment needed. As my local Apple store in Tucson AZ is the only location in southern Arizona, it can get crazy crowded. I went to return my AVP close to opening time. In and out in five minutes. “Your experience may vary” as they say.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Mine's going back, but my preferred Apple Store isn't the one where I picked it up originally.

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
FYI,
Tomorrow is day 14 so I did the return online extending the date required to ship to February 28. I also have the option to bring it in, anytime before then.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Funny, my extra Apple battery was confirmed received 2 days after I dropped it off but my VP has not been confirmed even though is was shipped back via FEDEX overnight...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.