Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
OpticID animation
FaceId animation
TouchID animation

First of all, I acknowledge this might be a first-world problem, but people LOVED the older faceId and touchId animations!!! The details and the satisfaction were what's sooo great about Apple, and I don't think I am asking too much here.

Vision Pro is Apple's next-generation device, and along the way, it brings a whole new way to authenticate. That being said the opticID animation is surprisingly bad.

The faceId and touchId animations were both great from the day they got announced and barely changed later, so I don't expect Apple to make improvements to the opticId animation either.

The difference is very clear and huge for me. It's the difference between a college student project vs some of the best in the world. But I know a lot of people don't care or notice as much as I do. So here is the break down:
- touchId has a great animation of the fingerprint being drawn out, and the tip of the finger (the rounded part) morphed into a spinner, and later the checkmark icon
- faceId starts with a face that's encapsulated in a square 'capture frame', and the square frame started moving and morphing into a 3d ball with motion blur applied. After the authentication succeed, the ball flattened to a circle which would normally show a checkmark.
- opticId: it blatantly poped up, had two rotating concentric circles. After the authentication succeed, the 'eye' suddenly disappeared, and got replaced by the same checkmark used by faceId. It almost felt like they reused part of the animation they had on hand. Not to mention, the OpticId animation they used for 1. login to AVP 2. password autofill 3. Online purchase 4. Apple store purchase, are all slightly different

Overall the OpticId's animation is a lot less playful and lifeless

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Have you looked at Windows recently? I admire your patience for the UI, but don’t think this says much about the direction of Apple.

Reactions: ke-iron

Polinsky

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2023
It's not a first world problem. IMHO, it's absolutely NO problem. The opticID animation is absolutely fine. I love it. There are a lot of other issues that need to be addressed first.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Have you looked at Windows recently? I admire your patience for the UI, but don’t think this says much about the direction of Apple.
1. Apple usually competes with themselves, not competitors
2. Do we really want to compare Apple's animation to Microsoft's? If so, I think your response kinda proves my point.

I am holding Apple to a very high standard because they used to excel in it, and I really loved what they did. And opticID is one of the only three biometric authentication systems Apple has EVER released. I think it is quite an important component of the overall experience.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
2. Do we really want to compare Apple's animation to Microsoft's? If we have got to that point, I think your response kinda proves my point.

I am holding Apple to a very high standard because they used to excel in it, and I really loved what they did. And opticID is one of the only three biometric authentication systems Apple has EVER released. I think it is quite an important component of the overall experience.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
2. Do we really want to compare Apple's animation to Microsoft's? If so, I think your response kinda proves my point.

No I was saying we can argue if Apple got it 99% right or 100% like it means something, but windows got about 10% so it feels like there are more important things out there.

You aren’t holding Apple to a high standard, you are stating a personal preference. I like the opticID. It is right in line with their style, clean and iconic.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
We have to keep in mind that this is V1.0 of vision os. It will rapidly change and get fixed. Guys and gals getting into it now have to accept that first explorers get arrows instead of progress sometimes. If they won't then they need to save their money. Anyone old enough to remember Dos 1.0, Windows 1.0 (barf) or OS/2 1.0 knows full well about first setting foot in a new land.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
We have to keep in mind that this is V1.0 of vision os. It will rapidly change and get fixed. Guys and gals getting into it now have to accept that first explorers get arrows instead of progress sometimes. If they won't then they need to save their money. Anyone old enough to remember Dos 1.0, Windows 1.0 (barf) or OS/2 1.0 knows full well about first setting foot in a new land.
Well again, that is not the case for faceid and touchid.

“The faceId and touchId animations were both great from the day they got announced and barely changed later, so I don't expect Apple to make improvements to the opticId animation either.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.