Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So as many of you probably know I'm not a seasoned traveller. Not had a holiday in a good few years.

Anyway I'll be travelling to LA for work in a couple of weeks time. Never been before so any cool places to check out?

I should point out I'm there for work :( so will be at the SIGGRAPH Exhibition in the day time. I do have some time on the Friday before my flight at 19:30 so best part of a day.

Any tips or advice? I'll be relying on Uber or public transport. Primarily interested in places for photography.
My clubbing days are about 25 years ago before anyone suggests those!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd love to make suggestions but despite living in California for 20 years, Los Angeles was 1.5 hours from where I used to live (Inland Empire, Riverside County). Thus, other than the main attractions I can't suggest much.

La Brea Tar Pits, LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art), etc.

Whenever I'm over there I tend to hang out in the Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach/Santa Monica area. The photography angle will be from the characters you meet. In the meantime it's a part of LA you can actually get out of your vehicle and walk around, so as a Brit you'll feel less like an alien.

Oh, and yes to Uber, no to public transport. LA's public transport is dreadful by UK standards. As a result the Ubers are plentiful.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Up front, I'll acknowledge my suggestions will probably not get much traction. :)
First off getting around LA can seem nightmarish at times. Horrendous traffic. There's the original Disneyland, in Aneheim, but my guess is it's not an inexpensive proposition and you'd need make a day of it to be worthwhile. If you are into day (or over night) trips, a 4 hour drive up the coast would take you through pretty country to the Hearst Castle a most impressive home complex now owned by the State. It was the first time I experienced wealth envy. ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Up front, I'll acknowledge my suggestions will probably not get much traction. :)
First off getting around LA can seem nightmarish at times. Horrendous traffic. There's the original Disneyland, in Aneheim, but my guess is it's not an inexpensive proposition and you'd need make a day of it to be worthwhile. If you are into day (or over night) trips, a 4 hour drive up the coast would take you through pretty country to the Hearst Castle a most impressive home complex now owned by the State. It was the first time I experienced wealth envy. ;)
I wasn't planning on hiring a car. Was just going to use Uber.
I'll be working 9-6 for the first three days. Will finish a bit earlier on the Thursday.
Then Friday I'm free but will need to get to the Airport around 3:30.
I'm guessing the beach might be good for some photos as it's not far from LAX.
Will just need to find somewhere to dump my case as I hear they don't have lockers at the airport.

Reactions: Huntn

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
@Apple fanboy, I'm STOKED that you get to visit LA! Your first vacation in a while you say? You're going to have a terrific time.

I assume the exhibition is going to be at the LA Convention Center, which is downtown. The beach is a decent distance from downtown (factoring in traffic), so that's something to consider if you're planning on going there in the evenings (with no traffic, you can get from downtown to the beach in ~20 minutes).

If you're wanting to get some killer pictures, you have to visit the Griffith Observatory at sunset. Better yet, if you can get some shots of the city as the lights begin to come on, you're golden. Definitely make that a stop:
https://goo.gl/maps/n3Zd6NAwr9R2

Here is another terrific view, the Jerome C. Daniel Overlook (I haven't done this one! Post pics if you do! :p):
https://goo.gl/maps/e6orQ5j3APo

^You might be noticing a theme -- the mountains that look over the city are some of the best spots for photos.

The northern section of downtown -- the area near City Hall -- is really beautiful. A great spot for photos is the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. There is a big pool that encircles the entire building. You can get some cool shots of the LA skyline from here:
https://goo.gl/maps/2iRr57PaaKR2

Echo Park might be a cool stop as well. However I'd try and go before it gets too dark out:
https://goo.gl/maps/coZif8RoRYt

The Hollywood sign is really cool to see since it's so iconic, but it's one of those things where, once you see it, you go, "Oh, that's it?" :p

-- Everything listed above is close to downtown. If I were you, I'd try and knock out those during the days you have the exhibition going on. I'd save the beach for Friday, when you have a full day. Now, speaking of the beach...

Venice Beach is really cool. Very iconic. Great chance to get pictures of folks playing basketball, folks working out, folks skateboarding, or the lifeguard huts along the beach. Cool place, very populated during the daytime. Wouldn't recommend being here when the sun goes down, though. Hotel Erwin has a cool rooftop bar.

Santa Monica is a beautiful part of town.Just up the road from Venice Beach. Check out the Third Street Promenade (you can't miss it -- all of 3rd Street is foot traffic only). Then walk to the Santa Monica Pier and get pictures of the Ferris Wheel. I'd recommending visiting Santa Monica during the evening since the Ferris Wheel lights up. And you can't beat the sunsets here, believe me.

Two last things: You HAVE to try In-N-Out Burger. Get some animal fries (if you're not allergic to cheese or onions). Trust me. And you have to try Blue Bottle Coffee. If you're a coffee snob like me you'll love it. Both In-N-Out and Blue Bottle have locations around LA.

If you have any more questions at all, feel free to reach out. Heck, send me a direct message if needed. If I lived in LA, I'd say that we could hang out. Alas, I don't (yet!). Have fun, friend!

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm guessing the beach might be good for some photos as it's not far from LAX.
As far as beaches are concerned…if you can swing it I'd really recommend Newport Beach.

It's outside of LA, but the beaches are far nicer there than anything you'd find by Los Angeles. And, it's not crazy congested with people like Huntington Beach usually is.

Newport is just nicer.

My suggestion if you can.
[doublepost=1500305853][/doublepost]
Two last things: You HAVE to try In-N-Out Burger. Get some animal fries (if you're not allergic to cheese or onions).
LOL!

They came in to Arizona quite a while back. There's an In & Out less than five minutes from my house. The usual, standing room only though. :D

But if we are making suggestions, then there is also another California institution to try and that's Naugles.

Yeah, if you didn't know, Naugles is back.

Here's their locations: http://nauglestacos.com/locations.php

Reactions: v0lume4

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
I'll be working 9-6 for the first three days. Will finish a bit earlier on the Thursday.
Then Friday I'm free but will need to get to the Airport around 3:30.

I assume the exhibition is going to be at the LA Convention Center, which is downtown. The beach is a decent distance from downtown (factoring in traffic), so that's something to consider if you're planning on going there in the evenings (with no traffic, you can get from downtown to the beach in ~20 minutes).

The days you work till 6 you won't have time to get anywhere. I'd suggest just a random walk around downtown as you look for dinner and photo opportunities.

A downtown suggestion: Check out the Angles Flight funicular railway which connects Olive and Hill streets halfway between 3rd and 4th streets. I believe it is not operating currently though.

At the northeast edge of downtown is Union Station, LA's big train station.

To get to Santa Monica, it looks like you can ride the Expo Line train. Its inland end is at 7th street, the same street as your hotel, though a few block to the east. Maybe head to Santa Monica for Thursday?

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
LOL!

They came in to Arizona quite a while back. There's an In & Out less than five minutes from my house. The usual, standing room only though. :D

But if we are making suggestions, then there is also another California institution to try and that's Naugles.
No way! Maybe one of these days In N Out will eventually end up on the east coast (where I am). I saw where they opened a location in Houston -- they are on their way east! Just a little farther, In-N-Out! :D

I will definitely have to try Naugles. Never heard of it before! It looks divine.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
So as many of you probably know I'm not a seasoned traveller. Not had a holiday in a good few years.

Anyway I'll be travelling to LA for work in a couple of weeks time. Never been before so any cool places to check out?

I should point out I'm there for work :( so will be at the SIGGRAPH Exhibition in the day time. I do have some time on the Friday before my flight at 19:30 so best part of a day.

Any tips or advice? I'll be relying on Uber or public transport. Primarily interested in places for photography.
My clubbing days are about 25 years ago before anyone suggests those!

What part of LA will you be staying in? I am assuming near the convention center, but want to make sure. I won't mention any clubs, but do you like alcohol such as beer or whiskey? What do you like to eat?

What about walking? Hollywood Sign is a great walk with a pretty cool view for pictures. Hence the question.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No way! Maybe one of these days In N Out will eventually end up on the east coast (where I am). I saw where they opened a location in Houston -- they are on their way east! Just a little farther, In-N-Out! :D
They will probably get there.

Here's the Valley now…there was only ONE location in 2010.

Restaurant Locations - In-N-Out Burger.png

I will definitely have to try Naugles. Never heard of it before! It looks divine.
Naugles was a large chain Mexican restaurant that was very popular for it's food in California during the 70s and 80s. They had a significant presence in St. Louis as well I understand.

Anyway, Del Taco bought them out in the early 90s. The food lived on in a sense that you could order specific things that weren't declared on the Del Taco menu. It's also Naugles that was the reason that there were 'Macho' fries and 'Macho' drinks at Del Taco.

But Del Taco didn't do anything with the brand.

A few years ago, a food blogger in Orange County reminisced about Naugles and was challenged to do something. He did.

He successfuly proved in court that Del Taco had abandoned the Naugles brand and logo. He won the rights to both. He's been getting help from people that were involved in the chain and they have recreated all the recipes.

Of their two locations, one is on the beach and the other is their test kitchen. They plan to go nationwide again very soon.

Naugles was a California institution in the 1980s. Almost everyone remembers the food and I am super happy it's been resurrected. Their fries and their tacos were the best ever and I can remember being 15 and spending my money there.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What part of LA will you be staying in? I am assuming near the convention center, but want to make sure. I won't mention any clubs, but do you like alcohol such as beer or whiskey? What do you like to eat?

What about walking? Hollywood Sign is a great walk with a pretty cool view for pictures. Hence the question.
I'll be staying here

1256 7th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017

I like a beer. As I'm working the next day I think whiskey is best avoided!

Walking to although it might be a bit hot!
[doublepost=1500393005][/doublepost]
I bet @Apple fanboy is secretly a party animal, he just isn't letting on. :p
He used to be in his teens and 20's.

But that was a long time ago!

Reactions: v0lume4

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'll be staying here

1256 7th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017

I like a beer. As I'm working the next day I think whiskey is best avoided!

Walking to although it might be a bit hot!
[doublepost=1500393005][/doublepost]
He used to be in his teens and 20's.

But that was a long time ago!

Staples Center is going to be a good bet for food and drinks:

Yard House - Lots of beer on tap (over 100)
Tom's Urban - Good breakfast and bloody mary's
Lawry's Carvery - Good sandwich's

I know you said no Whiskey, but if you are in the area, Seven Grand is an awesome whiskey bar.

Items near the area:

The Original Pantry Cafe - Good greasy breakfast. This place has been there a while!

Philippe's Original French Dip Sandwich
Spring Street BBQ
Olvera Street - Some really good mexican food.
Public School 213
Unami Burger

Places to see:
Hollywood Walk of Fame - Yes it just ok, but the people watching and there are some really good restaurants in the area. (you will need to uber or take a taxi) You could probably take buses, but I am not familiar enough to tell you which one to take.
While you are their, you could see the Pantages and Man's Chinese Theater (Sp?)
If in the Hollywood Walk of Fame area eat here:
Blue Palms Brew House!

Clear day you will be able to see the Hollywood Sign.

There are a bunch of old hotels and the like in hollywood and the surrounding areas.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.