Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Still in the process of migrating from my PC fully to the MAC PRO. Still debating whether to run a seperate PC on my home network. I need it to run my adobe suite and dreamweaver (want to wait till Universal versions of those are realeased for the mac before buying new versions). However I thought I would use boot camp, buy vista, new hardrive and run all from one machine. Just a question really is that the AERO interface of Vista needs a direct X 9 compatable graphics card. Am I correct in assuming that the 7300 GT in my mac pro is? According to the NVIDA website it is (the GPU), but I'm not sure whether the Mac version has a different firmware. Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
The 7300GT is Aero compatible and in fact its pretty fast for a rather smooth Aero experience.

But I'll tell you this right now: Vista won't work on a Mac Pro with a 7300GT UNLESS it has MORE than 1GB... I tried everything to make it work and Vista only worked perfectly once I chucked an extra 2GB in there, its a problem with the Mac Pro and the 7300GT. Specifically the system won't recognize the 7300GT in there so you'll have 640x480 and low color, you can disable the card and run in software mode to have full color and full resolution but thats a BIG inconvenience.

So unless you have a >1GB Mac Pro or plan to have one then go the XP way.

DCH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks and bugger! Wasn't planning on increasing my RAM just yet. Can't put XP on the MAC as I have an original version of XP - so service pack 1!!!! Wanted Vista to take advantage of 64bit! Will

DCH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks and bugger! Wasn't planning on increasing my RAM just yet. Can't put XP on the MAC as I have an original version of XP - so service pack 1!!!! Wanted Vista to take advantage of 64bit! Will have to think some more...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks and bugger! Wasn't planning on increasing my RAM just yet. Can't put XP on the MAC as I have an original version of XP - so service pack 1!!!! Wanted Vista to take advantage of 64bit! Will
Slipstream your SP1 disc to SP2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.