Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
"I am impressed with Apple OS and I like the way over the last couple of releases they have made a series of incremental improvements. It has not been earth-shattering," the analyst added.
Take that, all you Leopard bashers. ;)

BTW - "suckier and lousier"? It sounds as though it's improved over the first Beta, even though not ready for release. I suppose it is suckier in that it's not ready still, even though it's months, if not years, late.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
As we follow Vista, it is hard to fathom that MS is still an operating system softwware company. Their speed of turnaround on new systems is a joke, while it took them 5 years to finally get XP in pretty good shape. Some of this is probably the byproduct of their arrogance...like Big Blue suffered from, until they got their lunch eaten real bad and put out of the PC business, basically.

I am afraid that Vista is a purse made from a previous purse that was made from a sow's ear....it will be a passe product, and still no file journaling...pretty sad for the LEADER in OS's ??? :confused: Just my humble opinion --

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
BadRambo said:
Their speed of turnaround on new systems is a joke, while it took them 5 years to finally get XP in pretty good shape.

To be fair IMO SP2 made XP pretty good and that came out in 2004, which is after 3 years, other than that you make an interesting point in that Vista won't be usable until SP1 which will probably come out a year after Leopard, if Apple can keep up their rate of change Windows in it's current form will get further and further behind, by 10.6 this could become very embarrassing.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
"if Apple can keep up their rate of change Windows in it's current form will get further and further behind..."
----
Yes, and the only thing saving Windows in this scenario, is the poor software support Apple has, when compared to the HUGE amount of third party support Windows has. If I were the strategist at Apple, I would make SURE that BootCamp becomes HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL on all the mainstream Macs (the newer ones) which will set the stage for a real attention-getting scenario, where people can move into state-of-the-art desktops, have OS X too, run their Windows software when desired, and can have high-end performance (eg the Mac Pro) when they want it for gaming, etc.

Apple has a TIGER (pun) by the tail --- let's hope they play their hand right.

Cheers --- :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Vista sucks. One of the first on the forum here to get Vista Beta 2 running on my macbook, I thought it was utter rubbish, a total memory hog.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
BadRambo said:
Yes, and the only thing saving Windows in this scenario, is the poor software support Apple has, when compared to the HUGE amount of third party support Windows has.

Apart from games, (and industry specific programs like Auto-CAD, which most people don't need) I have had no problems finding software for my Mac, lots of it is free too :), compared to my old PC. For the majority of consumers who aren't gamers, Mac's offer all the software they need already. I think it's a bit of a myth that there is no software for the Mac, the current situation is that it's easier to buy a Windows PC as most people know how it works.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I have a post-Beta 2 build of Windows Vista installed on my Macbook Pro, which according to the Official Windows Fanboy (a.k.a Paul Thurrott), is supposedly a lot more stable and better than the public Beta 2 released by Microsoft. It's more or less as stable as Windows XP, but it's obviously faster than its predecessor. However, despite all the eye-candy, the UI is a complete mess from a usability point of view; It's even worse than Windows 3.1! :rolleyes:

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
Eraserhead said:
Apart from games, (and industry specific programs like Auto-CAD, which most people don't need) I have had no problems finding software for my Mac, lots of it is free too :), compared to my old PC. For the majority of consumers who aren't gamers, Mac's offer all the software they need already. I think it's a bit of a myth that there is no software for the Mac, the current situation is that it's easier to buy a Windows PC as most people know how it works.

Some good points, yes and no. What does get ignored by a majority of the "users" as opposed to "enthusiasts" is the vast array of Linux/Unix software that will run nicely on the x86-based Macs. After just installing the X11 graphic server, it opens a HUGE array of "stuff" up for users. My most used favorite is OpenOffice, ver. 2.0 which works well for many applications. I think in the future, with a more gray area between the Intel-based Macs and the PC, more outfits will be motivated to produce games, utilities, etc. for BOTH platforms. To date there obviously has been a preference for the monster PC aftermarket. I only wish Apple had made their move sooner and gotten away from the "G-world" sooner. But now, with the huge profits from the Ipod, they have some cash to make market moves that were not so easy before. If they play it right, the Intel-based machines could take a nice bite out of the PC market share, especially given VM software, quality hardware and more versatility. The Mac Pro is a good example of a major jump in that direction. :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
That there are 32-bit and 64-bit variants of Vista sounds pretty horrible. And that just makes it sound worse. I wonder how much else the 32-bit version might not be able to do by the time all's said and done.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
BadRambo said:
Their speed of turnaround on new systems is a joke

One major version of an operating system for 5 years is actually good news for developers. It means you know what to expect of your users. You know what features are probably there and what features aren't.

I've heard OSX developers complain about the way each new version of OSX breaks something in their code or adds a new "must support" feature.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I think Microsoft have tried to cram so much into the NT codebase its just starting to break, and now they are having a hard time fixing it. It would explain all the missing features, delays, ect.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
reflex said:
It means you know what to expect of your users. You know what features are probably there and what features aren't.

On windows? You must be kidding. There are so many variations on Windows XP alone that may be very similar, but are not 100% compatible

XP Home (Original/SP1/SP2)
XP Pro (Original/SP1/SP2)
XP MCE (2002/2003/2004/2005/2005RU2)
XP Tablet Edition
XP Pro 64 bt

Not to mention Whether Plus! is installed or if you have an OEM or volume licensed version... And I'm not talking about hotfixes, which I would consider similar to OS X point releases.

Even though XP has been around for 5 years Service Packs, Hotfixes and broken hardware drivers break plenty of apps and drivers all the time.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.