Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
This is driving me mad - I have my iMac set to share my public folder, and my movies folder. On my girlfriend's Vista laptop, if I go into Network I can see "iMac", and I can double click it, but the only option after that is "Printers".

I tried adding my girlfriend as a Sharing Account only on my Mac, but the only difference is when I double click "iMac" on her laptop, I have to input her username/password, but after that I still just see "Printers".

I've tried making the folders available to "Everyone", "Users" and her specific sharing account, all with the same result.

I've also tried just having SMB sharing on, and having FTP and SMB on, no luck.

My Mac can see and user her Vista PC's public folder just fine, and I KNOW this CAN work, as I've used my daughter's Vista laptop to access my Mac's public folder before with no problems.

Windows Firewall on my girlfriend's laptop is off, and on my Mac the firewall is set to allow all incoming connections.

Any ideas? This is driving me mad! Thanks

toodiverse4u

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
ACK...figures teh Vista would not connect easily

Well that's what your friends get for not getting a Mac. Simple fix...GET a MAC!

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
you are connecting as GUEST. Under run, type \\ip of the mac, login and all will be okay. Map the drive for easy access... have it mount on boot as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.