Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
has anyone tried to install the RC1 of vista into the RC of parallel? The parallel RC seem to experimentally support vista, but when i try to vista (32bit), it gives me error msgs right after the very very first file loading (the black/white screen), when it's the first blue screen, with STOP-<bunch of numbers>

i'm just wondering if anyone has able to get the RC1 of vista (or any other version) worked correctly? (before getting that work, i'm a bit worried to try under bootcamp since i have xp installed and play game under that:p , so unless i can know for sure the vista will work, or somehow install 2 windows (any help on this?) im hestitated to try.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
bearbo said:
has anyone tried to install the RC1 of vista into the RC of parallel? The parallel RC seem to experimentally support vista, but when i try to vista (32bit), it gives me error msgs right after the very very first file loading (the black/white screen), when it's the first blue screen, with STOP-<bunch of numbers>

i'm just wondering if anyone has able to get the RC1 of vista (or any other version) worked correctly? (before getting that work, i'm a bit worried to try under bootcamp since i have xp installed and play game under that:p , so unless i can know for sure the vista will work, or somehow install 2 windows (any help on this?) im hestitated to try.
the newest build of Parallels runs Vista RC1. there isn't a direct download link, you can get it at

http://download.parallels.com/RC/Parallels-Desktop-1896.2-Mac.dmg

RC1 is running fine for me (no aero though obviously).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
fishkorp said:
the newest build of Parallels runs Vista RC1. there isn't a direct download link, you can get it at

http://download.parallels.com/RC/Parallels-Desktop-1896.2-Mac.dmg

RC1 is running fine for me (no aero though obviously).
i have parallel desktop RC (yes, the latest as far as i knew) and it claims to support vista RC1.. however when i turned on the VM, and connect to the image, it loads some file in the black/white/gray screen, and the next it should go into the blue screen to load more file and do the partition and stuff... that's where it got stuck, as soon as it goes on to the blue screen, it has an error msg and stopped there...

edit:
http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/update/
this is where i downloaded, the version 1884... which claims experimentally support vista

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
bearbo said:
i have parallel desktop RC (yes, the latest as far as i knew) and it claims to support vista RC1.. however when i turned on the VM, and connect to the image, it loads some file in the black/white/gray screen, and the next it should go into the blue screen to load more file and do the partition and stuff... that's where it got stuck, as soon as it goes on to the blue screen, it has an error msg and stopped there...

edit:
http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/update/
this is where i downloaded, the version 1884... which claims experimentally support vista
that build only supports Vista Beta 1 NOT RC1. the build i linked to is newer (1896.2) and supports RC1. you can find links to the latest builds in the Parallels forums (forums.parallels.com).

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
fishkorp said:
that build only supports Vista Beta 1 NOT RC1. the build i linked to is newer (1896.2) and supports RC1. you can find links to the latest builds in the Parallels forums (forums.parallels.com).
Thanks! I'll try that today

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I have Parallels running xp right now.
If I go to vista, is it best to remove xp and start from scratch with vista?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
slackersonly said:
I have Parallels running xp right now.
If I go to vista, is it best to remove xp and start from scratch with vista?
Why remove XP? Just create a new VM for Vista and it won't know anything about your XP VM.

B

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
balamw said:
Why remove XP? Just create a new VM for Vista and it won't know anything about your XP VM.

B

Man. That was pretty obvious. I am new to VMs but I still should have see that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.