Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
MacRumorUser said:
Any one know when the public beta's will be able to get their hands on this ?

I could be wrong, but I dont think the RC 1 build will be made avalible to the public testers. I think it's development only (and from what I've read, its apparently VERY buggy and wouldnt be worth your time anyway)

The RC builds are basically the version away from a full release, do I doubt it will be made avalible to the public.

I could be wrong, so please correct me if so.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I think someone from MS said on a blog somewhere that if you had registered to download a previous beta you would be invited to try RC1.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Coming Soon

Apparently MS are going to release copies of RC1 on magazines etc. for those interested and brave enough with an expiry date of the end of May.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It should be available for download within the next couple of weeks.

simontarr said:
I could be wrong, but I dont think the RC 1 build will be made avalible to the public testers.

You're wrong :)

KevKaos

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Baltimore, Maryland USA
I have a copy of the Vista Beta that I tried to load on my Dell desktop machine and my E-Machines laptop, but couldn't load it on either one. Both had the same exact problem, incompatible disk controller. It would be interesting to see if anyone with a Mac could get this beta to run. It seems MS has locked down the hardware requirements pretty tightly. Rumor has it that you might have to have a certified "Vista compatible" PC. This is just one of the many reasons that I am wanting to switch to a Mac. I have waited all these years as MS has slowly stepped up toward an OS that looks and feels like a Mac and now that they are finally getting somewhat close, I can't play.

BadRambo

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2006
It is bothersome that the nation's number one operating system maker is having such a long and rough time introducing an operating system that should have been out two years ago...and when it does get THROWN onto the market, as MS always does, it will be very buggy, with its share of compatibility problems...deja vu XP. So what is MS doing for a living these days? They are still selling alot of copies of XP and Office and some games, and when you have over 80% of the market share, who cares, right??

When the nations' "leader" is the OS market cannot deliver a system that is even equal to MAC OSX in terms of technical content and stability, you have to wonder a bit. So I would not let the shortcomings of the Vista beta haunt you -- it will haunt its buyers for some time to come, after 2007, IMHO.

:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jellybean said:

Thanks for the link. :) The customer preview page also states that the preview program will reopen and allow people to get new keys in the near future if they do not already have a key... :)

(just to be clear I'm specifically talking about if you never requested / received a Beta 2 key).

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
There are reports on forums that none of the previous beta keys will work and that you need a new one.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
358 kbps

will this work without a key? also does anyone know when/where i can get a key? i know they arent available right now

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks for the heads up on this. Downloading now....
Looks like my post today was prophetic :)

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
MacRumorUser said:
871 :eek: not fair... just not fair ;) 150 here :( Only 4 hours to go.....
Awww....
(25 mins :D)

picture4gd0.png

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
should work withouth any mods with Vista and Bootcamp

but i am still have the same problem with Vista and Mac Pro it doesn't see the vid card properly and won't work properly i see all 8bit colors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.