Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Downloading it now... Only about 20 minutes left.

I might give Vista another try (now that it is virtually complete), but up to this point I have been unimpressed.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I might try it when they allow more people to join the Public betas, but I won't be shocked to see how DRMed to hell it will be.

Email arrived late. I remember I was one of the beta testers. :eek:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
About to try installing now. Gosh the fonts are weird. :(

Update: 12.14 AM:Wow....never seen an operating system take this long to install. :eek:

My gosh, that was a long installation. :(

I have created a thread here (A Review of RC1). I should have correctly labelled that...

Anyways, feel free to check it out.

http://benabrowder.blogspot.com/

miccoli84

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
can someone help me out....im running vista, and I have it running fairly smooth, but how can i access my tiger partition in vista? and how can I write to my vista partition from tiger

macdrive doesnt work for vista yet unless theres a beta that i dont know about

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Well, I think you (and all of us) are stuffed there. Tiger cannot write to NTFS, and MacDrive was the only one that worked for Windows. I will try to get it working (RC1), but can't promise anything.

miccoli84

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
that would be wicked if you could get it to work.....so what is everyone doing, just burning there stuff to a dvd

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Ok, Well I just installed Windows Vista RC1 and I have to say this is a completely different animal to Beta 2. One comment though, my god was that install a pain in the ass. Not only did it take ages, but it must of restarted 5 times? Upon each restart of course, it rebooted into Mac OS X if I wasn't in the room (I know, I should have used the Startup Disk control panel to set it to windows but I didn't).

Well, sound doesn't work, so I'll get that going now, then I have to hunt around to get everything else working fully. I imagine that I need some new ATi drivers too perhaps?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
jamesmcd said:
Ok, Well I just installed Windows Vista RC1 and I have to say this is a completely different animal to Beta 2. One comment though, my god was that install a pain in the ass. Not only did it take ages, but it must of restarted 5 times? Upon each restart of course, it rebooted into Mac OS X if I wasn't in the room (I know, I should have used the Startup Disk control panel to set it to windows but I didn't).

Well, sound doesn't work, so I'll get that going now, then I have to hunt around to get everything else working fully. I imagine that I need some new ATi drivers too perhaps?

I'm running my Mac Drivers install CD again. :(

I mentioned this on the blog, the amount of time it took to install made me not want to buy it.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
???

Don't know if this has been posted somewhere before... but:

Did you know your Intel-based Mac simply boots from the Vista RC-1 DVD?
I had removed Boot Camp quite a while ago (using the assistant), and tried puting the DVD in my MacBook Pro 1.83, and boooted while holding down the "C".
GUI installer started up!

I haven't backupped my data yet, so I didn't install quite just yet....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes -- that's because RC1 apparently supports EFI... surprise, surprise!

I have a question... is there a running list of what major Mac hardware elements do and don't have native support on Vista without needing a Bootcamp driver disc? It sounds as if there are still several things that are not natively supported, such as sound and iSight?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i can tell you what's not "natively" supported with apple supplied driver

isight is not

keyboard is not (that include eject and brightness)
-eject can be fixed
-brightness, i still haven't got it to work
-right click can be fixed

double tap on trackpad

backlit

sound works, require driver from sigma (or whatver the sound card company)
video card works, require driver from ATI

these will for sure work
airport, ethernet

what other hardware do you want to know?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Same as above.

I installed it without using Boot Camp, but used the Boot Camp Macintosh Drivers for my MacBook Pro (1.83 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM).
Only the audio drivers and BlueTooth drivers were used for Vista from the Driver CD.

Working "out of the RC-1 box":
X1600 Mobility
Ethenet
Airport

Drivers successfully installed from Macintosh Driver CD:
BlueTooth (and using the BTMM)
Audio

Stuff not working:
iSight

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
MacsRgr8 said:
Same as above.

I installed it without using Boot Camp, but used the Boot Camp Macintosh Drivers for my MacBook Pro (1.83 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM).
Only the audio drivers and BlueTooth drivers were used for Vista from the Driver CD.

Working "out of the RC-1 box":
X1600 Mobility
Ethenet
Airport

Drivers successfully installed from Macintosh Driver CD:
BlueTooth (and using the BTMM)
Audio

Stuff not working:
iSight
does your eject button and brightness control work?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Strange.

I did have the audio driver "seemed to be installed" once, when I tried the Vista online drivers updater.
It installed the drivers, but no sound was available.
Then I put in the Macintosh Driver CD, and installed those drivers. Then it all worked.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
The audio divers is a common problem with RC1 it appears, I installed Vista onto a laptop and there was no audio from Vista's drivers.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
did anyone receive some sort of fatal error when installing use the bootcamp windows driver in vista?

i received that fatal error when i was running the bootcamp driver cd in vista 5536, but haven't tried 5600 yet..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.