Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Well, this is similar to Apple's requirement that Tiger needs USB to run. If you want the HD out of an iBook Clamshell, install Tiger on it, and put it back in it runs it just fine with enough RAM.

I agree, it should be a case of checking against the minimum requirements for processor, RAM, HD space etc and warning you that installation could cause instability. In the case of checking for USB though, that was more along the lines of some machines without USB wouldn't support the OS, (or should I say the OS wouldn't support them), and to make it easier, they lumped all machines not having this as one. As far as I know, all PCs with the minimum RAM will run Aero, but Microsoft don't let you select it with less than 1GB. If this is the case, a warning and proceed/cancel would suffice in my mind. Most aren't stupid, but many aren't too confident when it comes to computers, so they'd lick cancel.

Just to correct a little though, Panther required USB, Tiger required FireWire.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
The amount of vram is not the most important thing but Pixel Shader 3.0 to run the Vista desktop. Sure it helps to have more vram but if its not got those features well...

Recommended: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with WDDM Driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and higher in hardware, and 32 bits per pixel

The Graphic card should support Pixel Shader v 3.0 or more. I found a problem when i switch to 3d Flip, while running a movie. It was having some graphics problem and the video was lagging too much. Media player's performance in playing DVD was not so good. But all these where cleared on a Pixel Shader 3.0 graphics card. I recommend a nVidia graphics card. And dont go for integrated graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.