Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Is there a guide on installing Vista RTM on a mac pro and getting the drivers to all work? I had to slipstream my XP install for the chipset drivers b/c of that hard drive slowdown problem but I don't know if vista would have the same problem. Right now I'm just upgrading my working XP to vista just in case, but eventually I'd like to do a clean install. I've tried searching but most places I see are using RC1 from last year with several problems.

I'm not using bootcamp...I'm installing it on it's own hard drive.

Edit:
I upgraded and everything went fine except for 2 devices that I have no idea what they are. Hard drive is in UDMA5 and everything appears to be working ok. Sound video and all. Wish I knew why those two devices are showing up. Either way I want to do a clean install.

wsgroves

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Yea im wondering about this too. I just purchased Vista Ult. and am looking for drivers for everything.

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
Even with my XP install and the Apple drivers, I had 1 system device show up unknown...... Never could figure out what it was....

I would also be interested in going to vista, but not until I know all the drivers are there :)

wsgroves

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Well i got vista ult up and running on my mac pro w/o any problems at all.
All the major hardware was found right off the bat.
I have a base system device and an unknown device but nothing that seems to degrade performance. Driver were found for the audio/networking etc without installing anything.
The base highest score is a 5.0 and the system scores a 5.9 on everything except the hd which is a 5.2.
My 8800 gtx video card works great with the new drivers and wow runs very nice although the framerates flux more then in xp for sure due to the immature drivers.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
On my iMac Core Duo using Vista RC 2 EVERYTHING shows up short of the iSight in device manager.

The only issues that I had were the following that I resolved by extracting the Macintosh Driver installer 1.1.2.

1 Sound from the internal speakers (headphones worked)
Resolution: Installing the Sigmatel drivers

2. iSight
Resolution: Installing the iSight driver

3. Appletime and Brightness
Resolution: Copying appletime and brightness exe's into System32

4. Apple Keyboard Support
Resolution: Installing the Apple Keyboard Support driver and application.

Otherwise you what Vista ships with works fine.

Here's where I got my solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.