Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merrygoround

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2019
I am having visual trouble with the iPad mini 5 screen. It seems that the ones coming from maybe this factory makes their screens a certain way? It’s the ones start with the serial DM, which is Foxconn China . However when I had one with DL , also in Foxconn but maybe not the same factory I didn’t have that issue. I no longer have it, so I finally decided months later to get a new one.

I thought that issue was a fluke so I didn’t really think too much about it when I replaced it.

But when I bought another for Xmas that starts with DM serial , it has that same screen issue . I’m hoping I can exchange and pick the serial prefix I want. It may not be noticeable to someone without visual impairment but for me, I can’t look at it longer than 30 secs, it gives me an instant headache and sometimes makes me dizzy —even with accessibility options compared to all my other Apple devices which I can look at for hours . It feels like the screen isn’t evenly lit that creates this sort of inconsistencies visually that’s jarring for me.

Is it possible for a certain factory make their device consecutively the same way?

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I have a DM mini and my display seems pretty flawless to me, and I’m extremely picky about displays. It’s very evenly lit.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I have a DM serial iPad Mini 5, and while it has a purple hue on black backgrounds or videos, it's been flawless. No light leakage on the edges, nothing.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I am having visual trouble with the iPad mini 5 screen. It seems that the ones coming from maybe this factory makes their screens a certain way? It’s the ones start with the serial DM, which is Foxconn China . However when I had one with DL , also in Foxconn but maybe not the same factory I didn’t have that issue. I no longer have it, so I finally decided months later to get a new one.

I thought that issue was a fluke so I didn’t really think too much about it when I replaced it.

But when I bought another for Xmas that starts with DM serial , it has that same screen issue . I’m hoping I can exchange and pick the serial prefix I want. It may not be noticeable to someone without visual impairment but for me, I can’t look at it longer than 30 secs, it gives me an instant headache and sometimes makes me dizzy —even with accessibility options compared to all my other Apple devices which I can look at for hours . It feels like the screen isn’t evenly lit that creates this sort of inconsistencies visually that’s jarring for me.

Is it possible for a certain factory make their device consecutively the same way?
My friend's iPad mini 5 is as great as it was on day one.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
DL mini here, purchased day 1. My screen is a nice even white color with no imperfections that I can see. Personally I'm more inclined to think it’s just luck of the draw rather than factory related. I would exchange it if I wasn’t satisfied.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I have a DM mini 5 I picked up on Black Friday and haven’t had any issues with it so far.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It doesn't seem likely that a display issue would be related to the factory where the final unit assembly was performed, since the displays are manufactured elsewhere.

The issue you're describing seems more likely to be related to the nature of the materials being viewed and the display refresh rate, rather than something specific to the way a particular factory builds a display or assembles a unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.