Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Can't get mine to work. If I hit teh voicemail button it just dials my voicemail.

I am an existing AT&T customer, not sure what the issue is. Anybody know?

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Turn on Edge and it shows up. I sent myself a voicemail to check it out and it never showed up -- until I left the house and then ding, voicemail. Only thing I can figure is leaving WiFi for edge made it happen.

Strange thing is when you sleep the phone (top button) it switches to Edge for monitoring data and turns off WiFi, so I'm not sure why it didn't get voicemail when on edge asleep. Unless it doesn't check voicemail when asleep, and that might be sucky if you miss a call while in the server basement or something and come upstairs only to get no notification.

But it's software, they can fix it easy I'm sure.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Call AT&T, its a problem with the data plan on your account. We had a thread about this (search for my username).

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Turn on Edge and it shows up. I sent myself a voicemail to check it out and it never showed up -- until I left the house and then ding, voicemail. Only thing I can figure is leaving WiFi for edge made it happen.

Strange thing is when you sleep the phone (top button) it switches to Edge for monitoring data and turns off WiFi, so I'm not sure why it didn't get voicemail when on edge asleep. Unless it doesn't check voicemail when asleep, and that might be sucky if you miss a call while in the server basement or something and come upstairs only to get no notification.

But it's software, they can fix it easy I'm sure.

Tried it, still no visual voice mail for me

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Call AT&T, its a problem with the data plan on your account. We had a thread about this (search for my username).

Went to local AT&T store today and I was told it was a known issue and should be fixed within a couple of days

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
my voicemail sounds REALLY BAD when listening to a message. the sound quality is awful. anyone else have this problem?

SatCommEng

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Yardley, PA
My VVM Doesn't Work Also

I have the following problem .. the same as everyone else:
--- Pressing VM icon only dials voicemail
--- VM icon does not show number of waiting VMs
--- I too do not have the password setting available
--- However, my VM works OK, I just have to access it the old fashioned way.

I spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone with both an AT&T person and an Apple tech support guy (3 way call). Apple is 99% sure it was an AT&T problem. We tried everything under the sun until we finally gave up last night from sheer exhaustion.

I called AT&T again this morning and when the woman was looking at some screen on her computer she could see a "Visual Voicemail" checkbox that was not checked on my account, but the checkbox line was grayed out so she couldn't just enable it. (Why they didnt see that last night is beyond me!) At least now we have a path to figure out how to fix this problem. Save the checkbox, save the world!!!

Up until now we figured it SHOULD be working, but if that checkbox is not checked, we can now expect that it shouldn't be working. The woman at AT&T has sent the probelm to the engineering dept to figure out why the checkbox is not accessable on my account. I will keep people posted on if they figure it out and how they do it.

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
OK, just got my visual working.
I had to call AT&T and it took about 20 mins.

Seems they still had the Blackberry data plan (I upgraded Pearl to iPhone) installed on my account which crippled the visual voice mail.

Possibly if you had an old data plan it could be the same, OR tell them to restart your voicemail account (turn phone off, it takes about 10 mins of powerdown).

Keep the faith, you will get it working!
It is one of my fav iPhone features now.

alabare

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Had the same issues with my voicemail. Had their customer service on the phone yesterday afternoon. They actually wanted to blame the thunderstorms in the area. When I further explained that the situation began the day prior, they changed their tune and asked that I have all my friends contact their call center to report similar problems. I guess the reasoning being to get a mass of people reporting the same problem so they will address it? WTF. I asked if they were receiving similar complaints for iPhone users, and he said yes. So, then why have my friends call you? Very odd conversation. I was on the line with them for over an hour. Their tech support called me back this morning to let me know it was fixed.

I will say this, they volunteered a credit toward my bill for my next billing cycle having endured the wait time and technical glitch. $30 for myself and $30 for my wifes phone. Was pleased by this. So, if you're all online with them with similar issues, mention a credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.