Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Both my wife and I (iPhone XS and 7, both on iOS 12.1) just noticed that we can no longer listen to or change our Greetings in Voicemail section of the phone app. This is something we’ve been able to do without issues in the past. Visual VM is otherwise working fine on both phones.

We’ve started the troubleshooting process through our carrier. But we’re wondering if this is an iOS 12 (or specifically 12.1) issue.

Anyone else having the same problem on their iPhone?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
You can still change it.

Phone app>Voicemail>Greetings on top left corner. Select default or custom to record your own greeting.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Might be an iOS 12 thing. Or carrier.

My greeting is still there (ATT), can record a new one, but cannot play the existing one (if I call my number, can hear the greeting).

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
You can still change it.

Phone app>Voicemail>Greetings on top left corner. Select default or custom to record your own greeting.
Yeah that’s the part that’s not working for us. We get to the greeting page and it just says “retrieving greeting” then changes to “set your outgoing message” and there’s nothing to play - Play button is greyed out.

If someone calls my number, my already set custom message is heard.

If I record a new one, I can play it back but it doesn’t update my actual custom greeting that people hear when calling me.
[doublepost=1543088134][/doublepost]
Might be an iOS 12 thing. Or carrier.

My greeting is still there (ATT), can record a new one, but cannot play the existing one (if I call my number, can hear the greeting).
When you record a new one and click Save, does it actually update your greeting (that people hear when they call you)?

On mine it shows as though it’s saved but it’s not actually updating on carrier end (you can test by calling and listening to the greeting).

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
My carrier is Fido which is part of the Rogers network (in Canada).

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
settings>general>reset>reset network settings might help
Thanks. I had already tried that. Didn’t help.

Out of curiosity, are you able to listen to your custom greeting, and perhaps even change it, from within the voicemail tab on the iPhone (without having to dial in to your voicemail)?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I talked to two colleagues today at work, both with iPhones running iOS 12.1 on different networks than mine. To my surprise they’re both seeing the same issue as I am. So I think I’m now leaning towards this being an issue in iOS, not carrier related.

carmatter

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2019
Memphis, TN
Did you ever get resolution on this? I got an iPhone 11 pro and just noticed today that it did not bring my greeting forward (I don't think they ever do), but I am stuck at the "Retrieving greeting..." phase.

Particularly annoying as this is a work phone.

This is the only recent post I found in my Google search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.