Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I’m having an issue with Visual Voicemail. It won’t play back the message for me. It registers that I’ve hit the play button but then does nothing

If I forward the message to myself as an imessage or save it into Files, it plays fine.

I’m running latest iOS version on an X if it makes a difference. I’m not sure when it started, but I only noticed it after changing phones a week or so ago.

I’ve tried rebooting and updating carrier settings with no luck. Any suggestions?

mds1256

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
I have noticed that visual voicemail will only play for me when I put the device to my ear and it will stop if i pull it from my ear like a proximity thing.

gamecockguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
South Carolina
Same exact issue with Verizon X. Has to be a software issue. Spent 1.5 hours on phone with Verizon. They reset Voicemail. I’ve rebooted, reset network settings multiple times and to no avail. They suggested wiping and starting over. Funny thing I noticed yesterday, when I went to record screen mode, the voicemails played - once while screen recording was on. Then stopped playing again.

drkstar

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
I have had the same issues on AT&T Visual Voicemail on two iPhone X's. Spent 2 hours on the phone with AT&T tech. Only after Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings restored the ability to play VMs.

Reactions: gamecockguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.