Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Hello,

Apple is forcing me to upgrade my beloved Snow Leopard machine which I use as a production machine for sountrack pro. I got my phone replaced and now it won't restore my back up which I made with exact model phone and software a day previously. If I back up my hard drive, is there anyway to make a fusion VM of my current machine?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You cannot run Snow Leopard (non-server) using a VM.

You -CAN- run Snow Leopard Server using a VM.

Sounds complicated, but all you have to do is "turn off" the server apps in SLS, and it will just the same as SL did.

I've never done this myself, but it's the "workaround of choice" for those who do need to still run SL under emulation while booting from a "more recent" version of the OS...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It is possible to run Snow Leopard (non-server) in Virtualbox, but it is not straightforward and requires additional software. Essentially you would be using Hackintosh tools. Snow Leopard is not supported due to licensing issues and this is also the reason why it isn’t strictly legal to do this. The server version of Snow Leopard is of course also an option, but it will cost you and Apple doesn’t officially sell it anymore, I believe.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
KALLT wrote:
"The server version of Snow Leopard is of course also an option, but it will cost you and Apple doesn’t officially sell it anymore, I believe."

Actually, I believe SLS is still offered for sale, for about $20.
One has to have the product number, however, as Apple's phone sales people generally don't know much about it. (Sorry, I don't have the product number myself)

Even if it's no longer available from Apple, there remain (cough, choke) "other ways" to get ahold of it. One has to do, what one has to do.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The server version of Snow Leopard is of course also an option, but it will cost you and Apple doesn’t officially sell it anymore, I believe.
Apple does still sell it but you need to call the online store and order it over the phone.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping there would be an easy way to convert my boot drive into VM like I can do with my defunct windows machines. Is virtual box the only platform to do this on or is there some way I can use fusion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.