Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hello. I’ve been testing how to play HD movies and files from an external USB drive on my iPad, with iPadOS 13.1.3. VLC has always been the best app to watch movies and video files, and supposedly one can play video files from an external Hard Drive. Well, that’s it, supposedly.

Look, most of small video files actually work. But when it comes to big HD video files of 4 or 5GB, it doesn’t work. I do it by entering into the Files app, and then “share”, and “open with VLC”, then it opens VLC and... Nothing happens. Sometimes it stays there on the empty screen of VLC (with the empty library) and after one or two minutes it tries to play the video file but automatically fails and closes it.

As I said, this happens only with big files, I have to try it with 2 and 3GB files, but I just want it to just work, always. I want my iPad to be capable of playing my movies stored in the hard drive just like I did on my MacBook.

Is this solved in iPad OS 13.3? Is this a VLC for iOS issue? I’ve tried with other apps that make it work but as soon as I pause, the screen turns black...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hello. I’ve been testing how to play HD movies and files from an external USB drive on my iPad, with iPadOS 13.1.3. VLC has always been the best app to watch movies and video files, and supposedly one can play video files from an external Hard Drive. Well, that’s it, supposedly.

Look, most of small video files actually work. But when it comes to big HD video files of 4 or 5GB, it doesn’t work. I do it by entering into the Files app, and then “share”, and “open with VLC”, then it opens VLC and... Nothing happens. Sometimes it stays there on the empty screen of VLC (with the empty library) and after one or two minutes it tries to play the video file but automatically fails and closes it.

As I said, this happens only with big files, I have to try it with 2 and 3GB files, but I just want it to just work, always. I want my iPad to be capable of playing my movies stored in the hard drive just like I did on my MacBook.

Is this solved in iPad OS 13.3? Is this a VLC for iOS issue? I’ve tried with other apps that make it work but as soon as I pause, the screen turns black...

Oddly, when I select a video on external storage attached to my 12.9 Pro on 13.3, under Share I don't have an "Open in VLC" option but do have "Copy to VLC". But I have been using nPlayer for my videos - it can directly access external storage from within the app now (there are other reasons I use it as my preferred player over VLC and Infuse). The test video I was using is 4.5GB and nPlayer has no problems with it or 8GB videos I have also played from external storage.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Not sure what you mean - I see only the "VLC for Mobile" and "VLC Streamer" in the App Store.
Maybe they’re thinking about the desktop version, no worries.

Well, thank you for your suggestions, I’ve been trying some players and honestly I thought VLC was the best. Most of them feel “cheap” and not mature enough compared to VLC.

So I will try nPlayer as long as it’s not subscription based and not too expensive.

But, just in case, I’ll leave the thread open just to know if anyone knows how to play big files (+4GB) either directly from VLC or through the Files app without having to copy them into my iPad.
[automerge]1577471880[/automerge]
Oh @sparksd I have a question regarding nPlayer: Does it have the option to play media on an external monitor? And I don’t mean just mirroring but taking advantage of the full external screen like VLC does. Thanks again

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Maybe they’re thinking about the desktop version, no worries.

Well, thank you for your suggestions, I’ve been trying some players and honestly I thought VLC was the best. Most of them feel “cheap” and not mature enough compared to VLC.

So I will try nPlayer as long as it’s not subscription based and not too expensive.

But, just in case, I’ll leave the thread open just to know if anyone knows how to play big files (+4GB) either directly from VLC or through the Files app without having to copy them into my iPad.
[automerge]1577471880[/automerge]
Oh @sparksd I have a question regarding nPlayer: Does it have the option to play media on an external monitor? And I don’t mean just mirroring but taking advantage of the full external screen like VLC does. Thanks again

Got it. I wish I could figure out the missing "Open in ..." option (vs "Copy to ..."). I swear I have seen this come and go when using the same media.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Got it. I wish I could figure out the missing "Open in ..." option (vs "Copy to ..."). I swear I have seen this come and go when using the same media.
This is the menu I’m talking about. I use it in Spanish because that’s my mother language, so Abrir en VLC means “Open in VLC”.
E6955EB2-59D7-470A-AD9B-6F23E45738D5.jpeg

By the way I think I’m gonna buy nPlayer. Thank you for letting me know about that app!
I think I’ll buy the regular nPlayer, because I don’t think I’ll need the Plus version.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
This is the menu I’m talking about. I use it in Spanish because that’s my mother language, so Abrir en VLC means “Open in VLC”.
View attachment 885104

By the way I think I’m gonna buy nPlayer. Thank you for letting me know about that app!
I think I’ll buy the regular nPlayer, because I don’t think I’ll need the Plus version.

Yes, exactly what I was doing and what I was expecting but I only have Copy to options with both VLC and nPlayer.

I use the regular nPlayer version, too as it covers everything I need. It works quite well.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes, exactly what I was doing and what I was expecting but I only have Copy to options with both VLC and nPlayer.

I use the regular nPlayer version, too as it covers everything I need. It works quite well.
Just to be sure before I purchase it:

1) nPlayer allows you to play content on an external display (via HDMI) without mirroring, adapting the aspect ratio to the external monitor (just like VLC does)?

2) And you said you can actually play content stored on an external hard drive, directly on the nPlayer app, without going through the Files App?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Just to be sure before I purchase it:

1) nPlayer allows you to play content on an external display (via HDMI) without mirroring, adapting the aspect ratio to the external monitor (just like VLC does)?

2) And you said you can actually play content stored on an external hard drive, directly on the nPlayer app, without going through the Files App?

Yes and Yes. It now has a folder called External Documents that when you open it, it has a menu to select the external storage. I also have in the app links to my movies on my NAS and some videos stored locally in the app itself. It does a nice job of playing on my 4K TV over HDMI. I take an HDMI cable with me when traveling for this purpose - that works quite nicely now with a hub connecting the HDMI, external storage, and power input.

Edit: I just remembered something - on early versions of iOS 13 there was a Files bug that made it impossible to play videos (or work with other files) larger than about 4.3GB - I was one of the people who reported it. That got fixed in 13.3. So if you update, VLC should work.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The cables I've seen only do 1080P. Have you found one that does 4K, or just living with 1080P?

There are 4K USB-C hubs and HDMI cables. I'm using this cable for my iPad as it's lightweight for travel -

Reactions: ActionableMango

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
The cables I've seen only do 1080P. Have you found one that does 4K, or just living with 1080P?
I think, for the 2018 iPad Pro, you need the new version of the Apple USB-C to digital AV Multiport Adapter (model 2119) which has an HDMI 2.0 connector, or just an HDMI 2.0 compatible adapter. And an HDMI 2.0 cable. And an HDMI 2.0 powered 4K TV.

Still, I think you’ll be limited to 4K @ 30fps.
I’m not sure because I haven’t been able to try it on a 4K screen.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But I have been using nPlayer for my videos - it can directly access external storage from within the app now (there are other reasons I use it as my preferred player over VLC and Infuse).

Yeah, nPlayer is a perfect video player for the iPad. It has plenty of features.. ways to customize however I see fit, like color or ways to maneuver around.

But I like to use Infuse as well.. because of how well the Movies/TV Shows metadata is displayed. So, I use a combination of both. I don’t use VLC at all...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah, nPlayer is a perfect video player for the iPad. It has plenty of features.. ways to customize however I see fit, like color or ways to maneuver around.

But I like to use Infuse as well.. because of how well the Movies/TV Shows metadata is displayed. So, I use a combination of both. I don’t use VLC at all...

Yes, I also have Infuse and like the metadata there. I have VLC but don't use it, either.

Reactions: rui no onna

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thanks @Ludatyk

It seems that all my worry about VLC not being as useful as it has been on my Mac all this years, wasn’t so important after all. I didn’t know there were better pieces of software on the App Store, and I can tell you that the few ones I had tried were bad. Luckily now I see there are actually better media players than VLC on iOS.

Edit: I just remembered something - on early versions of iOS 13 there was a Files bug that made it impossible to play videos (or work with other files) larger than about 4.3GB - I was one of the people who reported it. That got fixed in 13.3. So if you update, VLC should work.

Hell, that’s what’s happening to me! I didn’t know about it.
I will update my iPad to iOS 13.3 (despite the battery drain some people are complaining from), but still I will probably purchase nPlayer.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks @Ludatyk

It seems that all my worry about VLC not being as useful as it has been on my Mac all this years, wasn’t so important after all. I didn’t know there were better pieces of software on the App Store, and I can tell you that the few ones I had tried were bad. Luckily now I see there are actually better media players than VLC on iOS.

Hell, that’s what’s happening to me! I didn’t know about it.
I will update my iPad to iOS 13.3 (despite the battery drain some people are complaining from), but still I will probably purchase nPlayer.

I can't believe I forgot about that given how much I put into the issue. But I'm old & retired ... As for battery drain, I'm not seeing it on my 12.9 Pro, 10.5 Pro, or XS Max.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Thanks @Ludatyk

No problem, I’ve been on the iPad train since the iPad 2. I’ve tried hundreds of apps through the years... and yeah, there’s some that can be mundane, but majority of them are great.

I’ve used nPlayer as soon as it launched, but I never paid for the in-app purchase. It took me awhile to realize that I should go ahead and do it. The premium features didn’t appeal to me. But I didn’t realize that it unlocked h.265 streaming.

I purely did it to support the developer for all the hundreds of times I’ve used it for free.

Reactions: sparksd and Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.