Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamimaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
I don't have an Apple TV, but I'm just curious. I know all the basics about ATV, AirPlay & AirPlay mirroring & I also frequently use VLC for iOS which was recently updated for iOS7. My questions are:
1. Can I use Airplay Mirroring to watch non ATV supported video files (such as .mkv) on TV?
2. If it's possible, what happens when I lock the iPad/iPhone. Does the mirroring get stopped?
3. Does the audio & video go out of sync?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
1. Can I use Airplay Mirroring to watch non ATV supported video files (such as .mkv) on TV?

Mirroring works with all applications. However, for iOS native supported video formats (H.264/MPEG4) it's better to use AirPlay Audio&Video if VLC supports it. This because it's less laggy, the whole TV display can be used and your iDevice display does not need to be turned on all the time.

2. If it's possible, what happens when I lock the iPad/iPhone. Does the mirroring get stopped?

Since mirroring mirrors what you see on your display, naturally, if you lock or turn off your display, mirroring stops. That's one of the reasons why using AirPlay Audio&Video is better than mirroring.

Not from my experience.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I don't have an Apple TV, but I'm just curious. I know all the basics about ATV, AirPlay & AirPlay mirroring & I also frequently use VLC for iOS which was recently updated for iOS7. My questions are:

Thanks in advance :)

VLC is old software better of using Infuse 2 which also allows you to direct access your computer for files from your phone.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
This is not strictly true, some applications will limit you from using Airplay Mirroring for Licensing reasons such as Sky Go.
Jamie

Not striclty true. Sky Go and similar pay TV apps limit Airplay audio/video from movile devices due to license restrictions and similar, but Airplay mirroring cannot be blocked by any app, it is a basic function of the OS, not a software SDK that developers can use in different ways like Airplay audio/video is.

On the other hand, Airplay mirroring is not nearly as fluid as Airplay audio/video, so watching TV or movies or playing games with mirroring is a very poor experience, and is best used for showing presentations and other similar applications.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Not striclty true. Sky Go and similar pay TV apps limit Airplay audio/video from movile devices due to license restrictions and similar, but Airplay mirroring cannot be blocked by any app, it is a basic function of the OS, not a software SDK that developers can use in different ways like Airplay audio/video is.

On the other hand, Airplay mirroring is not nearly as fluid as Airplay audio/video, so watching TV or movies or playing games with mirroring is a very poor experience, and is best used for showing presentations and other similar applications.

If airplay mirroring cannot be blocked & then why can you not mirror Sky Go & 4od in the UK.

It does not work you cannot mirror these channels from an iphone or ipad

It's only blocked on IOS as i can airplay Sky on my rMBP

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
If airplay mirroring cannot be blocked & then why can you not mirror Sky Go & 4od in the UK.

It does not work you cannot mirror these channels from an iphone or ipad

It's only blocked on IOS as i can airplay Sky on my rMBP

Are you in the Sky Go app's movieplayer and trying to press the AirPlay button, or are you pulling up Airplay from the drag-up control panel outside if the app and toggling on the Airplay mirroring button to green after selecting you ATV?

The latter should work regardless but the former will be blocked as you say. Since I'm not in the UK I can't verify it for you, but we have ViaPlay here in Sweden which seems to act identically when it comes to mobile viewing rights, especially for live sport like the PL, and mirroring always works when direct AirPlay audio/video inside the app does not. The experience with mirroring, though, as said, is so subpar as to make it not worth it.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Are you in the Sky Go app's movieplayer and trying to press the AirPlay button, or are you pulling up Airplay from the drag-up control panel outside if the app and toggling on the Airplay mirroring button to green after selecting you ATV?

The latter should work regardless but the former will be blocked as you say. Since I'm not in the UK I can't verify it for you, but we have ViaPlay here in Sweden which seems to act identically when it comes to mobile viewing rights, especially for live sport like the PL, and mirroring always works when direct AirPlay audio/video inside the app does not. The experience with mirroring, though, as said, is so subpar as to make it not worth it.

I actually use my rMBP to play Sky go now as it works perfectly via airplay :D

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Infuse Pro appears to be the app that I've been waiting years for. Don't want to celebrate just yet but last night I had a flawless viewing experience of an HD file from my iPad to my ATV3 via AirPlay. Hopefully this will continue with various file formats too. I'll report back.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Infuse Pro appears to be the app that I've been waiting years for. Don't want to celebrate just yet but last night I had a flawless viewing experience of an HD file from my iPad to my ATV3 via AirPlay. Hopefully this will continue with various file formats too. I'll report back.

report back please :D

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Another option might be Air Video HD. I've been using their software for a couple of years and it's pretty fantastic. You can play many different file formats on your mobile device and it has AirPlay support, so you can toss the video up onto an Apple TV, lock your device, and watch away. It's also great because it can be setup to work online, so your media can be accessible from remote locations. Go to a friends' house, access your library, and toss it up onto their Apple TV. It has other options too, like pulling the media down onto your device.

IIRC the server software is free and the app is 2.99 or 3.99. It's a worthwhile purchase.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Air video hd works really well yes, but i still need a app wich can play files on idevices to the apple tv without stutter so i can bring my apple tv to friends and show them files.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I would like to add that vlc plays everything 95% smooth. Just a tiny bit of stutter sometimes but very acceptble.
The biggest problem is, that when putting the ipad or iphone in standby the video stops. Sound continues however.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Irregardless of what Video app you use in iOS for non supported file playback, it does not use hardware acceleration. So, you need to have a fast iOS device, to avoid or reduce jerkyness. Or play lower res and avoid 1080p

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Irregardless of what Video app you use in iOS for non supported file playback, it does not use hardware acceleration. So, you need to have a fast iOS device, to avoid or reduce jerkyness. Or play lower res and avoid 1080p
Vlc plays 1080p files(wmv, mkv, whatever) to apple tv. (5s and air) although there is stutter. Streaming and on the go converting from a pc has no stutter at all. But the stutter from playing files directly from device are very acceptable. Nothing major.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
report back please :D

So I'm back with an update. Infuse Pro has been a mixed bag for me. Apparently this app chooses whether to AirPlay natively or via Mirroring. It makes this decision based on what file you are trying to play. If the source of the video file was an avi it will automatically offer AirPlay Mirroring only. If the source is an MP4 it will offer native AirPlay.

The good news is that I've been able to play 1080P MP4's flawlessly via Infuse Pro to my ATV3. The bad news is that avi's via AirPlay Mirroring, much like anything that I've used AirPlay Mirroring for in the past, are unwatchable. Stutter galore.

My digital movie collection is a combination of different file formats so for now, Infuse Pro isn't the definitive solution I was seeking. I will continue to happily use it for MP4s but will look elsewhere for avi's.

Last year, when I had my MBA, I was successful playing SD avi's using the 'Beamer' app. But any HD video file contained in an avi file was unwatchable via Beamer.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Here's my follow up.

I've been able to successfully play MKV's and AVI's with the app Air Video HD. It converts the file to mp4 when you add it to the app itself. (Very very cool.) Playback for now is working great. It uses native AirPlay unlike Infuse Pro when you attempt to play an AVI file (and it reverts to AirPlay Mirroring, which is unwatchable for me).

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Here's my follow up.

I've been able to successfully play MKV's and AVI's with the app Air Video HD. It converts the file to mp4 when you add it to the app itself. (Very very cool.) Playback for now is working great. It uses native AirPlay unlike Infuse Pro when you attempt to play an AVI file (and it reverts to AirPlay Mirroring, which is unwatchable for me).

Wait, can you clarify that? Do you mean the app converts to MP4 BEFORE you can play it or it will do it on the FLY?

I don't care so much about behind the scenes higgery-jiggery, but if I have to add a file and wait for it to convert, that function is useless.

I'm about to get an Apple TV and while I primarily rely on a WDTV, the login issues lately have been a headache and if I could easily airplay via an app I already use, that would be great. Have tons of non-apple format videos. Don't worry, I know about the restrictions and have no plan to rely on the Apple TV for what it can't do very well.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Wait, can you clarify that? Do you mean the app converts to MP4 BEFORE you can play it or it will do it on the FLY?

I don't care so much about behind the scenes higgery-jiggery, but if I have to add a file and wait for it to convert, that function is useless.

I'm about to get an Apple TV and while I primarily rely on a WDTV, the login issues lately have been a headache and if I could easily airplay via an app I already use, that would be great. Have tons of non-apple format videos. Don't worry, I know about the restrictions and have no plan to rely on the Apple TV for what it can't do very well.

When you add a video file to Air Video HD, it converts it to MP4. I don't believe you can play this file until the conversion is complete. Also, it creates a folder on your Mac where you will find the MP4 file once the conversion is complete.

I've messed around with Settings on both the Mac application and iOS app. I see no place where you can change this. So if you want to use Air Video HD to natively AirPlay to your Apple TV, you must be okay with also getting a converted file (MP4) onto your Mac. This isn't a huge deal (you can save the file, delete it, whatever). But with Infuse I just add the MP4 (that I already had) to my iPad. With Air Video HD you gotta wait for the conversion/transfer (happens at the same time) and also realize you have a folder on your Mac with that MP4 file. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

Like I said before, technically Infuse can handle other video formats, but it does not AirPlay natively. So what you are left with is Infuse attempting to AirPlay Mirror an AVI or FLV file to your Apple TV, and that just results in terrible playback. Native AirPlay to date for me is always smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.