Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
I'm currently unable to download VLC from the AppStore after the iOS8 update. VLC for iOS isn't showing up. Has it been pulled down from the App Store or is it just me?
Even if it's not available on the AppStore anymore, is there any other way I could get it? Its the app I use the most...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vlc-for-ios/id650377962?mt=8

I think it was removed, I don't see it in my purchase history no more. Good thing I have a copy of it in iTunes.

iamimaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
That seems to be the issue. It's not showing up on my purchase history either. How can it be banned? When did Apple ban VLC? & Why hasn't it received any press?
I loved the app, was the best video player. Gonna miss it bad. :(

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
No press on this? Vlc website still displays it as on the App Store

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Appears to have been pulled since the iOS 8 release. Seems like quite a few people can't find it in the app store.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewforum.php?f=36

mcsmith1981

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
I have the same experience. I've successfully restored it from iTunes though. If you did a backup at any point since you originally downloaded it, you should have no issue doing the same.

I hope it's not gone for an extended period again. It's so damn good and I was looking forward to seeing how they might even improve on it in future.

With the A8 in my iPhone 6 I'm now streaming HD content from my NAS. The 4S didn't have enough power.

iamimaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
I emailed VLC Support and apparently they're "working with Apple on a solution" according to Felix Paul Kühne (Developer of VLC's ports to OS X and iOS)

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I installed it from my iTunes to my iP6+ and the audio is missing from all my videos. Anyone else have this issue?

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
VLC comes and goes so often, I'm sure this is just another "rule" they broke. Luckily I could restore it from iTunes.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I installed it from my iTunes to my iP6+ and the audio is missing from all my videos. Anyone else have this issue?

I am! It won't work with mkv files, but it worked fine with an avi file. :\
I dunno what the issue could be. They didn't play this smooth, but the audio worked on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7..

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
found this post - https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=121721

by mluisbrown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:45 am

See the recent posts by Felix Paul Kuehne (the lead dev for VLC for iOS) on the forum. A new version with support for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 and 6+ is being prepared.

Not sure why the old version had to be pulled though. However, I have the old version running on my iPhone 6 and whilst it runs fine, it absolutely kills the battery, to such an extent that the phone gets almost too hot to hold comfortably. Something that never happened on the iPhone 5 (even with iOS . That could be a reason enough to remove it from the app store until a new version is ready.

iamimaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
I have it on my iPhone still, is there a way I can get the app to my iPad?

Yes, you can.
Plug in your iPhone and open iTunes. Transfer purchases. And then sync your iPad. Make sure that VLC is checked in the applications tab while syncing your iPad.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
I was freaking out as well but then I found infuse, which is pretty snazzy tbh.

Im just curious on what the differences between the two are though.

iamimaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
I was freaking out as well but then I found infuse, which is pretty snazzy tbh.

Im just curious on what the differences between the two are though.

There's definitely significant changes that you'll notice over time. VLC was much more effective than Infuse. For example, you will not be able to play HD MKV files without paying for the pro version.
But, if you've paid for Infuse Pro the differences between the two are close to nothing. If you turn on 'Dark Mode' on Infuse - it even looks exactly like VLC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.