Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Not sure where to post this question, but this forum seems closest. I am starting to look at my options should (or more like "when") Apple goes sideways enough on its hardware and OS that I bail back to Linux. There are a couple of niche apps I need that run on macOS or Windows, but not Linux (probably never on Linux). I'd like to put macOS in a VM to run these, but I read that macOS doesn't like running in a VM (probably not by accident) so I'm looking at choosing between living with macOS hobbling in a VM or relearning Windows and running that in the VM instead. These apps aren't video or CPU intensive. License issues aside, how annoying is macOS in a VM running on Linux (probably POP!_OS) for a plain-vanilla macOS app?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It's a pain, no doubt about it, but, it is possible. From what I have seen Virtualbox is the most used on Linux to make it work, or if you are feeling adventurous, KVM. In terms of overall performance/usability it is ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.