Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Mac specs are in my signature. So when trying to play an old game from 2003 on Origin in windows my osx gpu history is showing the graph as maxed out ! I don't even get near max doing daily regular things in osx.

The settings for vmware are 1gb out of 3gb shared graphics memory with 3d on, 4 cpu cores, 8gb ram.
Changing the values don't seem to fix it.
The game runs fine but stressing out the gpu like that can't be good. VMware is using the VMware SVGA 3D driver under Display adapters. Is this normal? Any way to use Radeon drivers?

Anyone else experiencing this or can explain whats going on !? Worried a meltdown is imminent.
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 9.28.23 PM.png

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
VMware is using the VMware SVGA 3D driver under Display adapters. Is this normal? Any way to use Radeon drivers?
No. It's a virtual machine with a virtual graphics card. It's not possible to directly address the GPU without bypassing that virtualisation layer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Any way to use Radeon drivers?
Nope, its called a virtual machine for a reason ;)

I'd recommend a bootcamp setup instead of using VM, simply because your games will be running as they intended, aside from that try using Parallels, that is supposedly better for performance.

Reactions: Plutonius

VaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
Okay so I ran my game in Parallels 15 and it functions normally at full speed and not taxing the gpu at all like Vmware 11.5 does. Same configuration and specs between both VM's.
Parallels seems to be more optimized for games in my tests √
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 10.52.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.