Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Still waiting for it to show up.
I'm on 7.1.3 (and El Capitan). As I don't do Windows and my MacMini is from 2012, I didn't see much reason to upgrade neither the Mini, nor El Capitan - much less Fusion.
Maybe High Sierra will make it worthwhile (or necessary...).

Anybody got Fusion and VirtualBox working side-by-side without negative impacts?
I like Fusion for actually running VMs (with GUIs and without), vs. VBox is a must-have for Vagrant (no, I don't want to shell out even more money for the Vagrant provider for Fusion that gets mixed reviews and probably a lot less Q&A).

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Good about time. I was honestly starting to think VMWare forgot about Fusion.
and really my want list is fairly boring

* Same features as 8.5.x (heck I can even think of a few to cut out)
* Faster performance
* More OS compatability
* Increased stability
* All this and have it still work with a 2013 MBP :)

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Good about time. I was honestly starting to think VMWare forgot about Fusion.
and really my want list is fairly boring

* Same features as 8.5.x (heck I can even think of a few to cut out)
* Faster performance
* More OS compatability
* Increased stability
* All this and have it still work with a 2013 MBP :)

Forgot...? They have come out with a few updates for fusion 8 and one I believe just a week or so ago.

Problem is it will probably be a paid version due to High Sierra's changes. If you just updated due to Sierra, you might be out of luck.

I think Fusion and others are happy That Apple will discontinue 32-bit apps coming soon. Will make their programs a need if you want to run 32-bit apps...

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Forgot...? They have come out with a few updates for fusion 8 and one I believe just a week or so ago.

Problem is it will probably be a paid version due to High Sierra's changes. If you just updated due to Sierra, you might be out of luck.

I think Fusion and others are happy That Apple will discontinue 32-bit apps coming soon. Will make their programs a need if you want to run 32-bit apps...

I get what you are saying.
But Maintaining existing products is not the same as actively developing new versions of products.

Version 8 came out in 2015 with each update since just being a maintenance release.
So I get what you are saying that they haven't forgotten about it in a maintenance sort of way, but in an active development it has felt like they slowed way down.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Any update on this? last version I bought was fusion 7, and I didn't have a Mac for a while. I am hesitant to buy 8.5. I am using the beta version of Tech Preview 2017 and it seems really stable.
I'd keep using the Tech Preview until Fusion 9 ships, which if it's like in the past, will ship some time around September.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I'd keep using the Tech Preview until Fusion 9 ships, which if it's like in the past, will ship some time around September.

I was thinking September as well. There was an issue with them firing a lot of employees and then possibly dropping VMware so thought it wasn’t going to happen. Well got my fingers crossed
[doublepost=1501900523][/doublepost]
They have 30%-off deals basically every other week.

Yeah I don’t want to buy 8 and then 9 come out the following month. Which is very likely to happen.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
It will get released along High-Sierra. Even if it's only to milk the upgrade-crazy "I need the latest"-crowd ;-)

Can you say something about the Tech Preview?

What OSes are you running with it?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Update:
when Vmware Fusion Pro 9 will come for sale... ?
Best guess? End of August, begin September.
https://communities.vmware.com/message/2695824

Thanks for the update.
They asked: “
features are you looking for in the next major version?

What would you like to see Fusion do that it doesn't do today?”

Well for me I own VMware fusion 7, (but just started using the beta of 9) but I don’t see a point in buying 8.5 if 9 is just around the corner. Of course they want to push 8.5 and hope some people will then buy 9 soon after.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I get what you are saying.
But Maintaining existing products is not the same as actively developing new versions of products.

Version 8 came out in 2015 with each update since just being a maintenance release.
So I get what you are saying that they haven't forgotten about it in a maintenance sort of way, but in an active development it has felt like they slowed way down.

Well VMWare did fire their US based staff for VMWare Fusion back around January of 2016. LINK I'm not sure if I would be willing to buy their next release.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Well VMWare did fire their US based staff for VMWare Fusion back around January of 2016. LINK I'm not sure if I would be willing to buy their next release.

I saw that before...I didn't expect a new version to be released and thought I would have to starting making parallels my goto VM software. I prefer VMware over parallels, I find that the beta version of WMware is extremely stable so far so I am willing to stay with them for now. Been using it for a couple of weeks with multiple virtual machines and not a single crash yet.. I have parallels 9 installed that still works too, but I rarely use it.

Reactions: EnderBeta

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I saw that before...I didn't expect a new version to be released and thought I would have to starting making parallels my goto VM software. I prefer VMware over parallels, I find that the beta version of WMware is extremely stable so far so I am willing to stay with them for now. Been using it for a couple of weeks with multiple virtual machines and not a single crash yet.. I have parallels 9 installed that still works too, but I rarely use it.

I have never used Parallels. I have only ever used VMWare Fusion since I first got my first Mac, a MacBook Unibody. I'm still on the latest version of VMWare Fusion 8.5. I don't know if Parallels is developed in the United States I feel I should pay a company that is utilizing the work force I'm a part of more.

Beyond that firing the entire staff does bring to question the product's future. I'm glad to hear the the VMWare Fusion beta is doing as well as it is. I might stay with VMWare Fusion when it is updated but it depends on Parallels.

I don't know what their Visual Studio plugin is in parallels so I don't know if I even would need it but my inclination is probably not. I don't need most of the pro features except I'd like to be able to allocate 16GB of RAM to my Windows 10 virtual machine that I use for work. Being limited to 8GB on Parallel's basic version is rather lame when compared to the 64GB limit of even the basic VMWare Fusion version. Factored in with the $99 per year subscription for the ability to have more RAM. If Parallels stays like that I'll probably stick with VMWare Fusion.

Edit:
On the other hand if Parallels can handle games like Morrowind and Fallout without strange rendering artifacts and the new VMWare Fusion doesn't fix the issue I'll move over to Parallels.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
I have never used Parallels. I have only ever used VMWare Fusion since I first got my first Mac, a MacBook Unibody. I'm still on the latest version of VMWare Fusion 8.5. I don't know if Parallels is developed in the United States I feel I should pay a company that is utilizing the work force I'm a part of more.

Beyond that firing the entire staff does bring to question the product's future. I'm glad to hear the the VMWare Fusion beta is doing as well as it is. I might stay with VMWare Fusion when it is updated but it depends on Parallels.

I don't know what their Visual Studio plugin is in parallels so I don't know if I even would need it but my inclination is probably not. I don't need most of the pro features except I'd like to be able to allocate 16GB of RAM to my Windows 10 virtual machine that I use for work. Being limited to 8GB on Parallel's basic version is rather lame when compared to the 64GB limit of even the basic VMWare Fusion version. Factored in with the $99 per year subscription for the ability to have more RAM. If Parallels stays like that I'll probably stick with VMWare Fusion.

Edit:
On the other hand if Parallels can handle games like Morrowind and Fallout without strange rendering artifacts and the new VMWare Fusion doesn't fix the issue I'll move over to Parallels.

Parallels is very simple to use and works great. The only thing I found is that it doesn't allow as much customization as VMware Fusion.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
I haven't gamed in years and never have on VMs, but I would think it would be best to bootcamp if you are going to game.
I don't want to deal with boot camp. :) It's not a big deal, I have a gaming PC too but the iMac is quieter and doesn't heat the room up like the gaming PC does.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
How is it with games?

For gaming it works best for certain situations. For example, I love this game called "Star Trek Armada". The original game was much better than the sequel. Sadly the company went out of business. It is a very tough game to get working on a modern PC but somehow I was able to get it to work in a VM really close to how I remembered it working. I also tried the original Crysis game but I have a dedicated gaming PC so I don't need to run it in a VM.

VMs are not good for things like playing Battlefield 3, Dead Island, or Batman Arkham. More like older classics like Doom, Shadow Warrior, Quake.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
For gaming it works best for certain situations. For example, I love this game called "Star Trek Armada". The original game was much better than the sequel. Sadly the company went out of business. It is a very tough game to get working on a modern PC but somehow I was able to get it to work in a VM really close to how I remembered it working. I also tried the original Crysis game but I have a dedicated gaming PC so I don't need to run it in a VM.

VMs are not good for things like playing Battlefield 3, Dead Island, or Batman Arkham. More like older classics like Doom, Shadow Warrior, Quake.

Yeah I'm only asking about older games :) My issue is in morrowind and fallout 3 the world has seams in the ground and or water. It kills the mood. Parallels doesn't have this issue? It looks like I'll need to download a trial and find out. :)

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2005

Only VMware Fusion can be used to control machines via USB from Windows on Mac. Parallels Desktop fails on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.