Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

checkler2173

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2017
Has anyone experienced complete UI freeze using VMware and Sierra? Not sure the cause, but I'm seeing it a few times a week. I suppose the solution would be to reinstall OS along with VM tools, but thought I'd check. The symptoms are total UI failure even thought the systems in the background keep running, i.e., music, mail, etc..

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Haven't ever run into that unless I assigned more resources to the VM than the Mac could spare.

I'd verify that you have all the latest updates for Sierra, Fusion, the guest OS, and VM Tools. And then also make sure your not giving too much of your Macs resources to the VM.

OS X likes a lot of RAM. So, I always keep 8 GB reserved for OS X and I always keep at least two CPU cores dedicated to the Mac as well.

Remember that the mac still has to take care of its needs, and run any overhead that Fusion creates as well.

The VM is running on whatever cores and memory you assigned. But Fusion is running on the Mac and providing a translation layer for various hardware interfaces.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Recently yes, although the UI wakes again after 20-30 sec.

This seems to be related some recent change in Fusion or Sierra as it has worked OK before.

Noticed that the system log conains "intel gpu hang" entries coinciding with the freezes. Forcing use of my dgpu seems to fix the problem.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
These things can happen when you don't use compatible versions of the software. Which leads me to the question what versions (VMware Fusion, guest OS) and operating system in the vm we are talking about; can you elaborate on that?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Which leads me to the question what versions (VMware Fusion, guest OS) and operating system in the vm we are talking about; can you elaborate on that?

Osx 10.12.5 and Fusion 8.5.6 and 8.5.7. Windows 7 in the vm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.