Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
A nice quality of life note for anyone thinking of trying to virtualise an old macOS version:

I picked up an unused, unlimited client Snow Leopard Server install disk recently for ~US$50. When you set up in VMWare to Create New and choose custom, then MacOS X, Snow Leopard Server 64 bit, and hit create - if the physical disc is in the host computer's drive, it automatically starts the install process.

Very smooth - I was actually looking for a manual option to direct it to look at the optical drive for the install media, and hit Create thinking I'd get an error about not having an iso, or similar.

Reactions: ToniCH

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Oh and as an update, It installed perfectly, and while Safari doesn't work out of the box for HTTPS because a lot of security certificates have expired, Apple software update works a treat, took a couple of rounds of downloads and restarts of the VM to update everything fully, but at the end I have a 10.6 Server VM instance, with Rosetta for PowerPC and Quicktime installed.

Next up, Adobe CS5 in a contemporary OS version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.