Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcs132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
New York City
Hello mates,
I’m stuck between choosing VMWare Fusion or Parallels for my 12 MacBook. I will be using windows 10 for some light software development. I have a student discount for Parallels ($39.95) but I ran a VMware fusion trail last month and it was pretty cool (much better than my experience with virtual box). Right now with the Black Friday sale it’s $55 for fusion, any pros and cons for either software?

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Hello mates,
I’m stuck between choosing VMWare Fusion or Parallels for my 12 MacBook. I will be using windows 10 for some light software development. I have a student discount for Parallels ($39.95) but I ran a VMware fusion trail last month and it was pretty cool (much better than my experience with virtual box). Right now with the Black Friday sale it’s $55 for fusion, any pros and cons for either software?
I think both companies offer trials. I'm all VMware at work so it's natural for me to run Fusion Pro on my laptop. I used Parallels way back when, and at that time I had the feeling that Parallels was better for regular consumer use while Fusion seemed to provide a more fair scheduling of CPU time slices between guest systems. Both products have been heavily developed since, so I don't know if that still holds. Both can present applications from a (Windows) VM in a native macOS window if you want a more unified user experience. Fusion can still be bought once, while I think Parallels has moved to a subscription based model. Both are good products and I don't think you'll hate either of them.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.