Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
VMware Fusion 12 uses the same Apple hypervisor framework in Big Sur. In Catalina, Fusion uses its own hypervisor.
Correct. And VMware does not give an option on cMPro 5,1 running unsupported Big Sur. It's processor do not support the instruction set needed for the HyperVisor. Parallels Desktop does and silently continues to use the Extension. I switched then.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
QEMU and Wine/Cornerstone are great little toys, but if you are not playing they are just not robust enough. Parallels Desktop Pro has all the features I need.
Before setting up widespread adoption in my Engineering team 5+ years ago I looked at Parallels and VMware was clearly better and smoother to use.
It is a lot better now, especially if you just adjust to the few changes in doing stuff in comparison to VMware. I now prefer it despite its more restrictive licensing. A lot of our engineers have multiple computers. VMware allowed a single license per user presuming they were on one machine at a time. Parallels requires per machine licensing.
All part of doing business paid for in 1/2 hour saved.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
So, there is a free product that will allow me to run Linux in a VM without booting (like Parallels)? If so, what is the best/most stable choice for this?
Docker. You can even get a desktop (through VNC or browser) if you want. Look at DockerHub for VNC ubuntu for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.