Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecounthahaha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Hi,

I've just received an email from my ISP warning about port 5900 being open due to a VNC server.

Now, I know this, but possibly hadn't realised the implications. I do IT support for elderly family members who don't live near me, and do the following:

Their Mac mini: Screensharing on with password (8 characters as there's a limit). NoIP address enabled so I don't need their IP address. Port 5900 open.

My mac: I log in via screensharing using the NoIp address, password, then log in as their Mac user and login. It's then as if I'm on the same local network.

As I understood it that was fine (lots of methods showing this) but the ISP implies that this isn't encrypted and or not safe. Is that correct?

I do this with several relatives, so would like to make it safe if so!

How can I encrypt the process? I'm not a coder, so terminal is doable but not something I'm confident with but I'm happy to give it a go! If I can't encrypt it is there another method or some software that I can use for a handful of machines?

Thanks very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.