Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsapereira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys,

Since I've upgraded to iOS 11, I can't use voice control (not Siri!) to control my music anymore. The only commands for music accepted are the simple ones, the ones with no names of artist, album or music, like: "play/stop music"; "nest/previous track"; Volume up/down". The only command that I can use with a detailed name is "play playlist [playlist name]".

Before IOS 11 upgrade I was able to use voice control to command my iPhone to play specific choices of music. Worked just fine the commands "play music from [artist name]", "play album [album name]", "play music [music name]". Now I can´t! Even after the consecutive 11.0.1, 11.0.2, 11.0.3 updates.

Voice dialling works fine as before upgrade.

If I’m using Bluetooth connection with iPhone everything gets worst. Voice control just don´t work at all. After the first command, the iPhone don't recognise it, and starts playing shuffled music from my entire music library and then every attempts of voice commands, voice dialling also, just don’t work.

The attempts of not working commands result every time with the “Voice Control” blue screen with the audio spectral earing line stopped (straight dotted line) and the “Voice Control” blue screen stays freeze until I push the home button to get out.

It seems that in what concerns to the music, the commands don’t work maybe because the music library database cannot be accessed by voice control.

About anything works when on Bluetooth, I have no idea as a possible cause.

I’ve already tried almost everything to work around:
  • Rebuilding music database on iPhone by deleting every music and resynced again from my PC iTunes;
  • Rebuilding music database on iPhone and iTunes by deleting every music from iPhone and iTunes library and copied again every music to iTunes and resynced again to iPhone;
  • Resetting iPhone settings;
  • Resetting and deleted iPhone, and then restored from iTunes;
  • Resetting and deleted iPhone, started as a new iPhone and not syncing anything from iTunes library, just using it to directly copy some music to iPhone;
  • Signed out from my apple account;
  • Turning on and off Apple Music;
  • … and more that I can’t remember now.
I drive a lot, and now, with this problem, I have to choose the music, Artist or Album before that I wan't to listen at my car stereo receiver connected to my iPhone by Bluetooth, before start my drive, and if the choice I've maid, finish playing, or if I want to change to something different to listen or call someone, I have to stop my car to do it. Because or I have my hands on the driving wheel or I am using a phone, and or I'm looking to the road or I am looking to a phone,

I really need to know if this voice control problem is a bug of the IOS 11... to all iPhones or to the 6S's ones, or not, and probably is an hardware malfunction caused by the IOS 11 uograde to my iPhone 6S.

Does anyone with the same problem?

Can some good fellow with an iPhone 6s updated to IOS 11 can check these voice control commands to see if they work?

Someone with a solution?!

Thanks

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm not saying your problem isnt valid but would using Siri with the Hey Siri functionality be a problem?

rsapereira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Hi cynics!

Yes! Two!

1st - I do not want to share more personal info that I already share on the web. But that was not a major problem to me to give a a chance to Apple and believe/trust at the their privacy claims, if not having the 2nd reason to not start using Siri.

2nd - Siri is not available in my native language. I'm Portuguese from Portugal, and Siri is only available in Braszlian Portuguese. The accents of those two variations of Portuguese are sidnificant, and Siri does not understand almost everything I say. Also, Siri is not multilingual and I have music from various nationalities, so even if I trie to speak with a Brazilian accent, when I ask, for example, an English artist to play, Siri never understands because she's allways trying to find Portuguese words in everything I sav.
After iOS 11 upgrade, voice control, that is avajllable in Portuguese from Portugal, only tried to match Portuguese words to the available commands. For the names of contacts, music, álbuns or artists, voice control just tried to find similar spelling words at the corresponding iPhone Contacts or Music Databases.

Thank you for your replie!

Best

rsapereira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Hi!

Sorry for for the pressing about this problem! But it’s really annoying and frustrating for me can’t using anymore the cool native feature (before iOS 11 upgrade) of Voice Control.

Does a anyone with an iPhone 6s upgraded to iOS 11 could please test the Voice Control to check if it works as before or as mine.

Thanks

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Hi!

Sorry for for the pressing about this problem! But it’s really annoying and frustrating for me can’t using anymore the cool native feature (before iOS 11 upgrade) of Voice Control.

Does a anyone with an iPhone 6s upgraded to iOS 11 could please test the Voice Control to check if it works as before or as mine.

Thanks
iPhone 7 here on iOS 11.1 Beta 5, and I can confirm that Voice Control is a complete mess and seems quite broken. Even saying just “Play” has about a 10 second delay before anything starts playing. Never can get it to play a specific song or artist. Hopefully Apple fixes this in iOS 11 unless they are looking at Siri as a complete replacement which is ridiculous due to your issue, plus those who don’t have an internet connection can’t use Siri (at this point). Maybe they’ll add Portugal Portuguese as a Siri language soon.

rsapereira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Chazzle for your reply!

Yes. Siri as it works now it’s not a solution. Not only because that depends of an internet connection, but also because Siri always trie to match what you say to a word that exists on the dictionary related to the previous Siri's language chosen, so will never find other languages names or words spoked. Only if, on a future iOS fix, Apple makes Siri an hybrid of the traditional Siri with Voice Control, to work as Voice Control when no internet connection available and when you ask for something that is on your iPhone internal databases, as contacts or music library, instead of trying to find a match to the chosen language dictionary goes straight to a possible match to the words or names of those internal databases. That it’s what you can really call a serious Siri's improvement, more than make Siri’s voice more humanised.
If nothing like that it is scheduled as a next Apple’s Siri’s improvement, at least: - APPLE, PLEASE FIX THE VOICE CONTROL FEATURE!!

rsapereira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Yes!

I'm on tue Apple Communities right now, and a lot of people is complaining the Voice Control Bluetooth, after iOS 11, bug.

I will report this bug to Apple’s feedback.

This is only the major bug that I have after iOS 11. Also have lots of lagging on almost everything I do at my 6s, low volume on ringing calls that only solve with restarting the iPhone, missing photos from camera roll, missing Photo Álbuns after iTunes sync, etc. etc...

iOS 11, for now(!!), just sucks!

australbirder

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
Peru
Yes!

I'm on tue Apple Communities right now, and a lot of people is complaining the Voice Control Bluetooth, after iOS 11, bug.

I will report this bug to Apple’s feedback.

This is only the major bug that I have after iOS 11. Also have lots of lagging on almost everything I do at my 6s, low volume on ringing calls that only solve with restarting the iPhone, missing photos from camera roll, missing Photo Álbuns after iTunes sync, etc. etc...

iOS 11, for now(!!), just sucks!
Hi There! I am having exactly the same issue with “voice over”, it really have to be fixed immediately. I mainly work in the field and voice over is a must to use playback without typing the music track name. Let’s make this viral in order to Apple to take action. Is there any other portal where we can claim about it?.
Best regards,

I am using a iPhone 5SE (64GB), iOS 11.1.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.