Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
On my 5s with 8.3, One day voice dictation was working fine, the next it's not.

If I talk into the phone for dictation, the wave pattern looks like it's hearing the words, I hit done..the little circle spins for a bit, then nothing.

Happens over wifi or cellular

I've tried with headphones, no.
I've tried talking into both mics, nope.
I've done tests to check the front facing mic...it's fine. I checked the back mic, it's fine.
I've restarted.
I've disabled dictation and re-enabled it.

I'm out of ideas right now. I can't think of any changes I've made that would have done anything...I upgraded my iMac to El Capitan, so there's the convergence stuff happening now, but first time I saw this, I wasn't at home.

murmeltier

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
Just started happening for me too. Exactly as you say. I'm gonna bet Siri still hears you and the microphone in the Google chrome app (I just downloaded it to confirm) works fine too. Theres a thread at the Apple Support forum. No solution yet though.

Any ideas folks?

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Just started happening for me too. Exactly as you say. I'm gonna bet Siri still hears you and the microphone in the Google chrome app (I just downloaded it to confirm) works fine too. Theres a thread at the Apple Support forum. No solution yet though.

Any ideas folks?

I just got done chatting with apple support, and we checked Siri, and sure enough as you predicted, Siri worked.

It's at the "restore to factory" to try if that helps, which I then realized "A brand new ios is out today" and I don't update on first day.... So I'll wait on that for a few days I guess.
[doublepost=1458621709][/doublepost]Ok, reading the Apple thread on it, I turned Siri on, and dictation worked, as stated in that thred.
i then turned Siri off and Dictation still works.

bang head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.