Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
I just experienced this for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked, it didn't seem to take any longer than normal either, the VM was left and tranascribed within a few seconds of the call. One of the cooler features I've seen yet.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Still not functional on my iPhone 7 Plus and I'm on AT&T as well. Maybe it's because of the beta.

Does it do previous emails, or only new ones?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I have an iPhone 6s and it is working as well. I am on Verizon, and my wife is on AT&T and hers is working as well. My understanding is that you must be subscribed to a visual voicemail service through your carrier (not Apple). This allows for translation of the voicemail message, although I have seen some reports that it is done locally via Siri.

For the record, I had several voicemails in my queue prior to iOS 10, and after installing iOS 10, I was able to tap on them and see the transcribed text.
[doublepost=1474147757][/doublepost]
Mine either isn't working, or I haven't found it. Do I have to turn it on?

You should not have to turn anything on other than subscribing to a visual voicemail service through your carrier. To see if it is working for you, go into your voicemail messages and tap on a message. If it is activated, the message will expand and present the transcribed text of the voicemail message

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I have a 7 Plus and am on AT&T, I wasn't aware of this transcription feature until I restored my phone and was poking around in my call logs. Looked in the voicemail tab and saw they were all transcribed, sorta freaked me out a little. The transcriptions aren't perfect but it's a great way to quickly glance and see if listening to the whole message would be worth your time.

Reactions: tgara and Ntombi

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
FYI. Verizon 6s Plus here and all of a sudden (24 hours after loading 10.0.1), all my voicemails are transcribed. I thought it was for only new ones going forward but the processor (whatever it is) did all of them. Excellent. Much better than having to replay several times to get numbers that are hard to hear and to see if you even care about playing a message.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
AT&T here.

Anyway to turn off the transcription feature?

I get a lot of this kinda of thing: Hi this is ____. When are you ____ tonight? WTH?

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
AT&T here.

I get a lot of this kinda of thing: Hi this is ____. When are you ____ tonight? WTH?

I get the same issue especially when the subject is giving a time, phone number or name.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
AT&T here.

Why bother turning it off? Just listen if it’s weird (mine is sometimes too, as I have an unusual name, and the transcription can’t handle it like Siri.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Why bother turning it off? Just listen if it’s weird (mine is sometimes too, as I have an unusual name, and the transcription can’t handle it like Siri.
But the question is, "can you turn it off"? I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.