Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
If you're running the iOS 17 Beta, can you confirm if Apple's native Voice Memos app is upgraded with the AI/ML/NLP features that we're seeing elsewhere in iOS 17? (like live voicemail transcription, personal voice, predictive text and improved autocorrect in iMessage, etc)

It seems like a no-brainer for Apple to bring these same transformer-based capabilities to Voice Memos.app, like transcription to text, and maybe even beyond that suggested summaries, etc. It could replace Otter.ai for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
It's seems almost the same other than this which popped up when I opened the app:
IMG_3023.png

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
If you're running the iOS 17 Beta, can you confirm if Apple's native Voice Memos app is upgraded with the AI/ML/NLP features that we're seeing elsewhere in iOS 17? (like live voicemail transcription, personal voice, predictive text and improved autocorrect in iMessage, etc)

It seems like a no-brainer for Apple to bring these same transformer-based capabilities to Voice Memos.app, like transcription to text, and maybe even beyond that suggested summaries, etc. It could replace Otter.ai for me!
There is no transcription or any “AI” features.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

I get where you're coming from on this, but not sure I see the need it would fulfill other than for plain text needs. If you want voice input, you can get that in any app with a text field simply by using the voice-to-text feature built right into the keyboard.

If you are looking for something to transcribe a speech or an interview, I would suggest the Drafts app, which can take output from the Voice Memos app and transcribe them for you. Easy enough to build a shortcut to automate that, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.