Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeiseSupes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
First and last time using a Beta on the MacBook.

Was in work today and recorded an interview using Voice Memos. It was about 13 minutes in length. I could see from the sound wave on the screen that it was working and had used it previously, successfully. After I finished the interview I pressed done and WOOOSH...the interview completely vanished. Nowhere to be seen.

What I'm hoping you wonderful people can help me with is...could there be a temporary file sitting somewhere with the recording on it (but it's not showing on the voice memos interface for some reason) or has the interview somehow deleted itself by pressing 'done'. This is a catastrophic bug and I'd recommend nobody use voice memos for any important reason in this beta.

Any help would be appreciated.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
cool new feature - i tested it a few times and it works great - did not loose any files / recordings.

I could not find where it stores the files - seems they are hidden somewhere and I could not find them in the user library.

I did notice that you can drag the "New Recording" to the desktop to copy it - but I could not locate the orginal

alexclst

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
Voice Memos sync via iCloud. So you can probably find their files on the Mac under ~/Library/Mobile Documents, which is where iCloud Drive and synced files actually live. You may need to dig around using the “cd” command in Terminal. I just checked, and on both Mojave and High Sierra you can no longer show package contents on that package (which I’m pretty sure I could do in an earlier version of High Sierra).

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I tried searching files files @ ~/Library/Mobile Documents could not find any files and I have been using it a lot for recording audio files - mostly guitar bt also some voice notes and memos.

Going to ~/Library/Mobile Documents takes you to iCloud drive and searching for invisble files (.dot) did not show any missing files or folders.

Seems to work flawlessly syncing files to my 2 ipads and 2 iphones 2 MBP's - but would be cool to know where the files are stored?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.